How could I scan to see if there’s a listening device in my home? Not connected to my wifi

I think there may be a listening device in my home not connected to my network.

how could I scan to see if there is?

Best Answer

• PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Help_please Rather than reply to your private message I have posted the answer here as others may benefit:-
    You need to scan your network & then check every physical device manually, using MAC addresses for identification. Then use a process of elimination to identify unknown devices removing them, one at a time, and checking over time the effect of removing them. 
    Don’t forget that Google & Amazon devices plus most tablets & smartphones are capable of “listening” in your environment, check the settings on all devices & apps.
    It might be helpful to explain why you think a listening device might exist! 
    RobinCiaranMaximilian

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,344
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Welcome to the community @Help_please
    To understand your query, if the listening device is not connected to your network, then the Fing App will not be able to detect its presence unless you have a Fingbox and that the listening device needs to be connected to a network. Apart from that, maybe @Marc @Maya @eJony @rooted @Pixelpopper @kltaylor @bmontfordcan guide you in the right direction. Thanks again.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Help_please
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,191
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct.  Fing and Fingbox will not detect it unless it makes a connection to your network.  Both of those applications will only work if a device requests to receive an IP address from your gateway/router.  Once it acquires that, then both resources will/should detect it.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    CiaranHelp_please
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

Well there is the digital fence feature of Fingbox but there's no way to know if one of the detected devices is actually in the house.

HronosCiaranThePlotThickens9Help_please
  • HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    If with a FingBox, you can tune up the fence in the "range" button, the maximum range for the FingBox antenas is 15 meters (if I am not wrong), so if you detect a device with in the range, you can cut it in the app, and scan again to see if the device still shows (at 50% or 20% or 5% range, etc.) the range is metered from the FingBox physical location.
    Keep looking up!
    CiaranHelp_please
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,350
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This might seem obvious but if it’s not a WiFi device, aka it’s hardwired or transmits in a non-WiFi frequency, say to a wireless receiver somewhere else, fing will not be able to see it. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    CiaranHronosHelp_please
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 129
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a listening device in your home which isn’t connected, hardwired or wi-fi, to your network then this probably isn’t the place to resolve your issue as they will almost certainly be using mobile networks or similar short range transmission systems.
    l would suggest that you gather evidence to support your view and then discuss the matter, including your evidence, with your local law enforcement department.
    if you want to avoid the official route then you will need to do some research to identify the types scanning devices available. They would, assuming that the devices you suspect are present, need to comply with FAA regulations if legitimate devices.
    Help_pleaseMarcHronos
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 853
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    thank you all for your advise. @Help_please if you find any of the responses useful, please mark the most useful answer as 'answered your question'. This will help other users get the most relevant answer quickest and give the user who provided the feedback 'kudos' for doing so. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Hronos
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

If there is such a device it certainly would be wireless. This may be overkill but it's inexpensive, you could get a RTL-SDR (Software Defined Radio) USB dongle and look for a strong signal likely in the 433 or 900 mHz range and if you found such a signal you could use this method to help locate the device by signal strength.

CiaranHelp_please
  • eJonyeJony Member, Beta Tester Posts: 45
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    @Help_please
    Some great advice from @Pixelpopper and @rooted. I recommend reading this wired article: https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-sweep-for-bugs/ and check Amazon to learn what type of device could be used and what type of devices help find them: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=audio+bug+surveillance+device&crid=R7PV44J959BZ&sprefix=audio+bug+s%2Caps%2C192&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

CiaranHelp_please