Why do I end up with multiple networks when I scan my Eero Pro mesh wifi network?

MrXcitementMrXcitement Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I have an iPhone 8 running iOS version 13.2.3
I have the latest Fing App for iOS installed, version 8.7.0 as of 12/11/19
My home network is using an Eero Pro mesh WiFi in bridged mode.
My default gateway is provided by a Synology router.
When I run a scan, I end up with multiple networks.
It would appear that when iOS scans a network it uses the MAC address of the WiFi that the device is connected to as the unique identifier for the network.
Each of the three Eero WiFi access points have three separate WiFi MAC addresses.
That means I may end up with a total of 9 separate networks.
Is this expected behavior?
Is there a way to combine the networks, so that additional scans will use the combined network?
TIA

Tagged:

Best Answer

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 800
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Yes it's normal to have multiple networks in that configuration, I don't know of a way to combine the networks but of course I certainly don't know everything.

Answers

• MrXcitementMrXcitement Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @rooted thanks for the answer.
    I had been confused as to why there were multiple networks showing up when I re scanned the network.
    After playing around this afternoon, it also looks as if a network is created for every ethernet device that scans the network. So in my setup with one iOS device and a laptop scanning my physical network I would end up with 10 separate networks to manage.
    I found an option on the web view at https://app.fing.com/app click the gear icon and select 'Merge with other network' allow the separate networks to be managed as one. However it appears that there is a hard limit of 6 networks that can be 'merged' and that sadly that is not enough for my network.