What technology purchases will you be making for Black Friday?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
Black Friday is coming! I know this is a HUGE day for tech purchases. What devices are you planning to add to your network if any? 

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
RobinCiarankltaylorAnhyeu

Comments

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,523
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Linksys Velop mesh nodes... I need to pick up two to complete the house coverage.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,228
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Black Friday is coming! I know this is a HUGE day for tech purchases. What devices are you planning to add to your network if any? 
    I stay in bed on black Friday! =)
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Zazi1991ixixqVioletChepil
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be working flat out - we’ve a major go live starting the previous Sunday and going the entire week. So I’m going to be a right miserable so and so!

That said, I will be keeping my peepers open for Cyber Monday deals. Sometime in the next 12 months I’ll be replacing all four of my Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, Watch and MacBook. Just don’t know yet with just what, but looking forward to it!

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no - yes I've heard about that one @Pooh. Good luck during that time! 
    That is amazing you will be replacing all those devices. Are there usually any good sales on Apple devices around the holidays? 

kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @VioletChepil it depends: I did pick up a Series 3 watch for my better half one Cyber Monday - List I think was $329, I paid $179 - and this is when the Series 3's were the latest ones out there.

The Watch may come first for me as I'm discovering as I get older than I'm no Weeble (I wobble and do fall down) - and the fall protection could be handy, along with the EEG functionality (getting old sucks!). The iPad may be early next year when Apple announce the new iPads - I need to get one dedicated for work (thus allowing me to keep my current one for home use). The next one will be getting a new Mac - although I may get a iMac or Mac Mini and dedicate my current 2015 MBP to portable usage - so that'll probably be summer next year when Apple will probably announce new iterations. Finally the fall will see me wanting to upgrade my iPhone 7+. If the 2020 iPhones have 5G then I might upgrade to one of those, otherwise (and if the rumors are true) I'll hit up the new SE that Apple look like are getting ready for a $399 price point next spring.
    MarckltaylorVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh, +1 on the mini.  I have the latest i7 one, replaced a circa 2014 mini now doing duty as a media server.  Being able to upgrade ram was key...  I had decent screen, keyboard etc to use with it.  The economics of the mini go south versus an iMac if you first have to pick that stuff up too.
    @VioletChepil, Apple rarely discounts, sometime opting instead for a gift card or they throw in a set of beats.  Best bet is to hit up a big box retail store or Amazon for Apple discounts.  
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,228
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:

I’ll be working flat out - we’ve a major go live starting the previous Sunday and going the entire week. So I’m going to be a right miserable so and so!

That said, I will be keeping my peepers open for Cyber Monday deals. Sometime in the next 12 months I’ll be replacing all four of my Apple devices: iPhone, iPad, Watch and MacBook. Just don’t know yet with just what, but looking forward to it!

Need any help?  lol ...
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilHronos
  • Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭

I am hoping that my favorite Audio company puts some of their headphone amps and related components on sale.

If anyone enjoys music as I do, and enjoys high quality equipment, Schiit Audio (don't laugh, the Schiit is Amazing! And yes this is actually their name) a brand made here in the USA produces some of the highest rated, highest quality headphone Amps / DACs / and related equipment. The best part is their prices range from very affordable to not so affordable, but don't let the price even for their entry line of gear cast judgement on quality.

Their entry level Magni 3 Headphone Amp is around $100 but no one will ever tell you that it's entry level quality. It's been ranked as headphone amp of the year in 2018 and still ranks among reviewers as a high end amp.

I absolutely love their brand, I own 3 components, the Magni 3 PreAmp/Amp, Modi DAC, and Loki Tone Controler. Impressive is an understatement.

I'm looking to getting one of their hybrid Tube Amps or one of their higher end amps if their prices drop.

If anyone is interested in more info check out their site..

Cheers!

VioletChepilMarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good audio equipment does last. Way way way back in the mid 1990's whilst still an English Bear, I invested in a couple of B&W 600 Speakers for about £400 each (and a Centre to boot, but can't off the top of my head remember the model number). Here I am, 25 years later, and they're still in use - having undergone a transatlantic shipping when I emigrated to the US, and not only are they still in daily use in my home theater, but used they going for around $600 (£464 at the prevailing rates)!

Only 50% depreciation in 25 years? I'll take that!
    MarcSystops5
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pooh, @Systops5, completely agree and I like Shiit as well..  :)
    My current senior citizen setup..  I have two receivers, A Marantz built in 1976, NAD in 83 going strong, AR turntable '72, KLH speakers early 70's and some really modern CD and Cassette decks from the 90's...  
    Systops5
  • MIBSWEMIBSWE Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    I'll keep an eye out for any good Philips Hue bargains. Bought some last year on Black Friday and I love the solution, especially the strip lights. Looking now to get a few extra lightbulbs, motion sensors, light strips and kinetic switches. They launched a HDMI box that connects to your TV output and then matches the colours on your TV screen to your hue lights. Similar to the philips TV with the ambient lighting.  
    VioletChepil
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping to get a Deal on a new DAC a Chord Hugo TT2 (at £4K a deal is essential 😁) or an ELAC Alchemy DDP2 🤞🏼
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very interesting purchases. Myself I'll be picking up a mesh network of some sort. Google WiFi I think.
    There has been some vandalism of cars in my neighborhood so also thinking about a camera system too, to watch the door/car. 

Would be great if we could all submit the best deals we're finding for Black Friday here too:
    https://community.fing.com/categories/deals

Systops5
    ✭✭✭

I can thoroughly recommend Linksys Velop Mesh network system, it proven to be, not perfect, but the most reliable I’ve had in 20 years.

MarcVioletChepil
  • WerterWerter Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I read these comments and am interested in a Mesh network system. I currently have a Motorola MG7540modem router. Will it work with that? What is better, the freestanding nodes or the ones you plug into the electrical outlets.  Cox is my internet provider. I appreciate any help or advice. 
    VioletChepilvBoogieman
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    On the first week of December my son becomes older 🥰 and his phone really needs to be changed. I will look for a good deal. My vacuum cleaner also is out of warranty and the laser guide system is dying , the battery is also near to the end. After 5 years of every day cleaning I can change it. I will look for a Neato, the best imho. 
    Davide
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Werter said:
    I read these comments and am interested in a Mesh network system. I currently have a Motorola MG7540modem router. Will it work with that? What is better, the freestanding nodes or the ones you plug into the electrical outlets.  Cox is my internet provider. I appreciate any help or advice. 
    I can’t comment on your specific router, but, the Linksys Velop is very flexible. I am using my service provider’s router for DHCP and general administration. The Velop, in my case, is only used for the wireless part of the network although it is perfectly capable of performing all network functions anyone would need in the domestic environment. Other mesh systems should offer similar flexibility, reviews on Amazon are excellent for assessing the capabilities, and reliability, of a system just be sure to check the review relates to the specific device you are interested in.

All devices require a power supply so you need to decide between a wired connection which is likely to be more reliable & faster (Ethernet over power lines) or wireless (Mesh etc.) which offers more convenience with the potential for slower speeds. Although the mesh networks are getting very fast, in my case I get a theoretical speed of 800M at 5Ghz and in practice it is also very fast.
    WerterVioletChepil
  • WerterWerter Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Thank you so much! It sounds like I could use my Motorola with the Mesh. 
    CiaranVioletChepil
  • RickT49RickT49 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Ring doorbell device
    5 Answers 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭

Some more HDDs for my NAS. I'm hoping to pick up some 16TBs for cheap.

CiaranVioletChepil
  • joltdudejoltdude Member, Beta Tester Posts: 29
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭
    Tech purchases. I cant justify replacing routers/network stuff right now... I need a backup device and system ram on my primary computer... but i need it portable for the storage ... so i can sneakernet as needed... Also pondering the higher end Amazon echo audio devicesand a sub... I use Echo primarily as a streaming audio / home audio system... I'd also like some sort of tablet... kinda leaning toward ifruit...  I miss when Google/Asus actually made decent tablets like the Nexus 7...   I dont want a larger phone and even my 14inch convertible Chromebook  is a bit big...  The Goldilocks dilemma... 
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Werter could you start up a new discussion on this? Fing Community will definitely be able to help with advise on this! 

• HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I am sort of "grounded" by myself, because of my "mischief" with the bulk buy of Wyze devices... HEHEHE so, for the momento I am far from another "impulsive buy" xD
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • vulcansheartvulcansheart Member, Beta Tester Posts: 117
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Picked up another Fingbox on sale. Should be delivered today! This will be an upgrade from V1 to V2 for me.
    41 4c 4c 20 59 4f 55 52 20 42 41 53 45 20 41 52 45 20 42 45 4c 4f 4e 47 20 54 4f 20 55 53
    HronosVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh great news @vulcansheart!
    Yes, we've got some promos going in Amazon locations until Sunday! 
    https://app.fing.com/purchase/fingbox