There is a device which I cannot recognise?

AtanAtan Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Hi I have a device coming up in fing app. Can anyone help me to know what can it be. I have download app yesterday and when I checked in the evening there was not any devices which I would not know about but this morning there is a device with generic tile and IP address is 192.168.0.30

Many thanks

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @atan
    Welcome to Fing Community and thanks for using the Fing App!

What OS are you using? Android or iOS and if you could please indicate the version too? (For example; iOS 13)

Are you using iOS 11 and above? If so, there is an ongoing issue with MAC address identification. https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/

About device identification on Fing App
    The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 
    - Limited information being offered by specific devices. 
     -Location Permissions are not enabled for Fing App.
    Could you make sure all devices are connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to? If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out.

Other tips for recognizing devices?
    @AustinJerry suggested in this thread: Let’s assume that the devices are actually performing a function in your home.  Try setting the option to receive an an alert when the device goes offline.  Then if/when the device goes offline, you will be able to identify it.  

You could also change your router admin name and password and then see which device it is as you reconnect your devices.

Let me know any further questions on the above!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

AtanHronoskltaylor
  • AtanAtan Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank you Violet.

I am using iphone - ios 13. I think it is a great advise to set an alert as this will help to narrow down the device. Ill try that first.

thanks again x

HronoskltaylorVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Atan - please don't hesitate if you need more ideas/advice and let us know if you come to a resolution too.

Community Manager at Fing

• GiaceccoGiacecco Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Hi All, I’ve been in a similar situation for a few weeks now. My Fingbox shows an unrecognised device coming online and offline after a few minutes. I blocked it, but there is no apparent disservice in any other device I run that I am aware of, so I can’t tell what it is. The time pattern by which it comes online - and for how long - is erratic and I can’t relate it to any activity my wife or I initiate. The wifi password is random and as long as it gets, so I can’t really believe they cracked it. Are there any best practices to find out what’s happening, besides changing the wifi password on all my devices? Thanks.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Giacecco

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB 

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.  

I would advise using a manual recognition where you can select the correct device type and O.S and save the device. This inserting of as many details that you can about the device will help to improve the recognition engine for all Fing users.  

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

If you are using any apple device then please follow this link: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • GiaceccoGiacecco Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Hi @Robin thanks. iOS devices are not the issue, I’ve disabled the private MAC address feature for my Wifi network.

The issue actually started before the iOS update became available, and without adding any device to the network that I know of. In fact, my current hypothesis is that there is one pre-existing device behaving inappropriately , e.g. the Internet provider’s TV set top box may be creating a virtual network card for some strange kind of maintenance (it’s not it). But I don’t have that many devices that are a black box to me, this is why I’m puzzled.

The aruljohn website also does not recognise then MAC address.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,092
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Giacecco
    It might be the random MAC address generated by any device. In this case, to isolate you can remove the devices one by one and scan and see which devices comes back on the list.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!