iOS 13 - Logging in with Apple created a new Fing App account

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 72
10 Comments Photogenic
admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: iOS 13 & Fing App.

Comments

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , let me give you one scenario and see if I'm beyond help.  I was playing with the MAC address web app and decided to try the Apple ID login as I was on my Mac Mini and the choice was starring me in the face.  There was no option to merge to an existing account so now I have a new Fing account.   :/  Note I do NOT use the same email on fing as I do with my Apple ID so maybe that was the reason it did not ask me to merge?.  So, now I'm not sure what will happen if I decide to log out of my iOS Fing app and use my Apple ID to log in.  Any ideas what I should do next?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marc - OK so a couple of questions:
    1) do you have a Fingbox? If so, we can change your account email to match your Apple ID. Let me know if you'd like to do that. 
    The Apple ID and the Fing App account would need to be the same to merge them. So we can ensure that they are the same user. 

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple more details: The logic is the same as Google/Facebook/Fing account: the email address must match in order to insist on the same user. So if the Apple account uses e.g. [email protected] and Google account is [email protected], these will be two separate email accounts.
    It is also advised to grant permission to access the real email address instead of apple relay email system, because that is unique and won’t definitely match with any other account you might already have.
    If they already signed in without granting access to the real email, you can delete the account. 
    Account merge is automatic based on the same email address.

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marc - OK so a couple of questions:
    1) do you have a Fingbox? If so, we can change your account email to match your Apple ID. Let me know if you'd like to do that. 
    The Apple ID and the Fing App account would need to be the same to merge them. So we can ensure that they are the same user. 
    @violet, I do indeed have Fingbox v1 since the came out on Indiegogo.  I’ll DM you the email address if that’s ok.  I’m fine with using that email going forward. Will I have to log out and back into everything after the flip?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @Marc I will get that done. Just opening a support ticket from this thread! 

Marc
  • deftlydeftly Member Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Ok @Marc I will get that done. Just opening a support ticket from this thread! 
    Can I do the same thing, please?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @deftly - can you start a new thread? That way I can create a new ticket for you. The ticket will only be assigned to the OP (original poster) and thus you won't get emails etc. to make the change happen. Just create the new discussion mention @VioletChepil and I'll create your ticket. 

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Just a note that adding "Sign in with Apple" to an existing account works just fine when the emails are the same. You do have to sign out and begin to sign in again before you are offered the option to use SIWA.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @pwmeek.
    @deftly I've just sent you over a DM on this too.