Vodafone broadband - reliable but not loved

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭

As of 23th July 2019 the Fing ISP scoreboard placed Vodafone Broadband 7th place in the UK in terms of speed but 11th place in terms of ratings provided by our app users. 

With an average download speed of 34mbps and 12.4mbps upload speed, it has achieved a Fing speed rating of 2.1 out of 5. On average, Fing app users have rated it 3 out of 5 stars, with around 42% of users giving it a 4 or 5 star rating and 25% just 1 star. This rating puts Vodafone in the bottom 40% in the UK. 

Between 4th April and July 11th July 2019, the Fing Outage Detector registered just 1 outage for Vodafone Broadband, and that was just a low severity one.

Are you or have you been a Vodafone Broadband user? Does this sound right to you? With reasonable speeds and few outages, why are a quarter of users giving it 1 star?
Head of Product at Fing

Comments

• JoeJoe Member, Beta Tester Posts: 53
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Founder
    ✭✭✭
    My fing box is detecting many more outages throughout the day. Also the M-Lab speed tests are miserably low. Other speed tests are better but M-Lab is the only one run automatically and recorded by fing. VF offers a % money back if their speed drops below 25mb/s on my 35mb/s deal. I rarely get more than 25mb/s on my M-Lab speed tests. However, I believe Vodafone are talking about the sync speed (which is set at 40mb/s not the actual traffic flow. Is this correct or can I complain?
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Vodafone Broadband for an infuriating one week. Line up and down. Family shouting at me all the time. When I could get hold of anyone they blamed BT Openreach (who run the cables - so plausible) but their story kept changing. Awful customer service. Glad to be with Plusnet now - so much better and no more expensive
    Head of Product at Fing
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 108
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Gidster said:
    I was on Vodafone Broadband for an infuriating one week. Line up and down. Family shouting at me all the time. When I could get hold of anyone they blamed BT Openreach (who run the cables - so plausible) but their story kept changing. Awful customer service. Glad to be with Plusnet now - so much better and no more expensive
    Moved from BT, half the price and very happy!  I am pretty sure most broadband takes a week or 2 to settle after a change, as they test the maximum speeds of the line.  I too had a similar issue with voda, after a month it was 100% stable.
    ✭✭✭
    "After your BT Broadband has been turned on for the first time, it can take up to an hour or so to 'settle down'. During this settling in period you may experience an intermittent connection. This is caused by your BT exchange automatically trying out different speeds to find out the fastest stable speed that your particular line can support."

"This process can take up to ten days. Please keep your BT Hub turned on all the time so we can keep working on the line and give you the best possible service."

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7547/~/what-to-expect-in-the-first-few-days-of-broadband
    ✭✭✭
    "After your BT Broadband has been turned on for the first time, it can take up to an hour or so to 'settle down'. During this settling in period you may experience an intermittent connection. This is caused by your BT exchange automatically trying out different speeds to find out the fastest stable speed that your particular line can support."

"This process can take up to ten days. Please keep your BT Hub turned on all the time so we can keep working on the line and give you the best possible service."

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7547/~/what-to-expect-in-the-first-few-days-of-broadband
    ✭✭✭

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks @John - yes I did take into account the settling period but this was for an extensive period and was not the explanation provided to me at any point by Customer Service agents. They were talking about problems with the installation team and with hardware at the exchange
    Worth saying that the switch to PlusNet, presumably using the same exchange and kit, was stable immediately (while it shouldn't be the case, perhaps as a BT subsidiary PlusNet had more leverage with BT Openreach?)
    Head of Product at Fing