Unrecognized Device Alert

I have Fing configured to block new devices. This morning I received an alert that a new device was blocked. This is not a device that I recognize and am 100% confident this is not a device that should be connected. Did this device successfully connect to my network, meaning did this device guess my wifi password?
kltaylorVioletChepil

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,228
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Fing configured to block new devices. This morning I received an alert that a new device was blocked. This is not a device that I recognize and am 100% confident this is not a device that should be connected. Did this device successfully connect to my network, meaning did this device guess my wifi password?
    Short answer, no ... I doubt it.

Sounds like Fingbox did what it was supposed to do in blocking something that you aren't aware of.  Best case scenario, take inventory of any electronic device that you have to determine if it was something internal that needed to 'call home' every now and again.

If nothing comes to mind, then change your Wifi Password using a robust password, something not easily guessable and sleep better tonight.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jamezmiller
    The device would connect and then immediately be blocked by Fingbox when it gets on the network. We cannot block it before it joins...
    Our block feature makes the targeted device to believe our fingbox is the gateway of the network. In this way, the fingbox can receive the packet and discard it. Moreover, we make the target device to believe that its IP is owned by another device. All of these low-level techniques can be bypassed by a few seconds or minutes if the router put in place some anti-spoofing or similar techniques.To explain: When the device will try to connect to the router, then the device will be able to make the connection until the Fingbox is checking the Blocklist if the device is in the list or not. Only after checking that list, the device will be able to maintain the connection or get blocked from the network. This verification of the list might take up to few minutes and then Fingbox is able to block that device.

I hope this clarified but your network should be safe then.
    Let me know any other way I can help!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor