Blocking is not working - device still online

Olliesshop
Olliesshop Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
I have 3 different devices that I've block, but they are still going online periodically.  I haven't been able to figure out what the devices are, so I blocked them.  Attached is a screen print of the history of one of the devices showing it going online and then offline repeatedly.  Any ideas?

Tagged:

Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Olliesshop
    It looks like the device entered the network and then is blocked after? This is usually how the blocking works. Because as soon as it gets on the network it is then blocked immediately after... I'm going to check in whether the delays in blocking seem OK or too long. 

If device block is not working, can you check a few things:
    - Are you location/date settings up to date as outlined here: https://app.fing.com/app#user:settings
    - Is IPv6 disabled on the router?
    - Is blocking other devices working? Is blocking in generally not working? 
    - Are you using any firewall?
    - Does Fingbox have opened access on the following ports? 
    Make sure to allow Fingbox to reach any IP address on the following TCP ports: 80, 443, 4443, 5671. In addition, the ports needed for the Internet Speed Test, provided by M-Lab include 3001, 3002, 3003.

Sorry for so many questions but this will help us troubleshooting this issue.

Community Manager at Fing

TomFrame
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK @Olliesshop I've checked in on this and device blocking can take up to 10 minutes if something is cached on it like a pre-loaded YouTube video. Each time the device reconnects it will get blocked straight away and it seems that this behavior is happening...

The history of the device showed it tried to connect and then it was blocked so it does seem normal on our side! 

Our block feature makes the targeted device to believe our fingbox is the gateway of the network. In this way, the fingbox can receive the packet and discard it. Moreover, we make the target device to believe that its IP is owned by another device. All of these low-level techniques can be bypassed by a few seconds or minutes if the router put in place some anti-spoofing or similar techniques.To explain: When the device will try to connect to the router, then the device will be able to make the connection until the Fingbox is checking the Blocklist if the device is in the list or not. Only after checking that list, the device will be able to maintain the connection or get blocked from the network. This verification of the list might take up to few minutes and then Fingbox is able to block that device.

• Olliesshop
    Olliesshop Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you ... I appreciate the thorough answer on this. 
    I'll have to get to the questions later.  Although, the one big thing that frustrates me about the Asus AIMesh system I have (3 Routers) is I'm unable to disable IPv6 when I'm in AIMesh mode.  The only way to do it is by going to AP mode, which causes it's own set of problems.  I'll have to look into that again and see if it's changed.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Olliesshop - just let us know.