Is our network still being protected?

ShooterShooter Member Posts: 27
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
✭✭
Our home wifi network of 8-12 devices has been monitored by a FingBox for the past 18 months. However, I question if all these devices are still being protected since something changed ~3 months ago whereby only one device (an iPhone) ever shows up on the "Presence" screen, while at the same time, a different device (the router) shows up on the "Digital Fence". I monitor activity from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A T380 which was updated to Android 9 at about the time things changed. Also around this same time, we changed ISPs to Xfinity/Comcast with different hardware. I can only presume that the reason why only one of our many devices listed on the "Devices" screen is also showing up on the"Presence" and "Fence" screens has to do with either changes in Fing/FingBox's functionality, or our recent switch to a different ISP with new hardware, or the recent update of my tablet which is what I use to monitor the network through the Fing app. So I would really appreciate any help with determining the reason(s) behind the way Fing monitors our network from the way it used to whereby all devices would show up on the Presence and Digital Fence screens, and most importantly if our network is really being protected or not, and what to do to diagnose the issue(s)! 

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,147
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Shooter, welcome to the forums!  1st question is whether your current devices are all showing up on the device list properly?  For example are the IP addresses and MAC addresses correct?  If the answer to that is yes, for the presence issue you might want to remove them from your people list and re-add them again.  Hopefully that will clear up the presence issue.  if there is an issue with recognized devices in the list, that might lead us down a different troubleshooting path.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Marc thanks heaps.
    A few more details @Shooter on setting up presence.
    - Are all users present or not?
    Setting up a new user on the Digital Presence feature is very easy. Scroll to the right on the user carousel at the top of the Digital Presence page until you see a circle with a ‘+’ icon in it. Under this icon, it should say Add New User – click on this icon.This screen below should appear:From here you can add:
    - A name for the user
    - A photo or icon
    - A category they fall under – these categories will be different depending on if you have set up your Fingbox in a home or office environment
    - Select the devices on the network that belong to that user
    IMPORTANT STEP BEFORE YOU SAVE – for the Digital Presence feature to accurately show when someone is in and out of the home/office, you must set up a Personal Device for that user.
    Only after adding a device to Presence, will you be able to see the timeline for the devices

Digital Fence is a different feature altogether - which detects the devices in 15m vicinity of Fingbox - even if they are not on your WiFi. So lets say your aunt visits with a phone but does not connect to your WiFi - Fingbox would pick up that surrounding device in the Fence. (But those devices can change MAC address etc.) the ones on your network you can monitor their Digital presence and see when people come and go! 

Let me know any additional information you need. 

Community Manager at Fing

• ShooterShooter Member Posts: 27
    ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @Marc & @VioletChepil
    Thanks to you both for your suggestions! Prior to this issue, I had established the digital presence many times (consistent with Violet's instructions) by assigning owners for each of our devices. When the issue arose, which in addition to the changes previously described and IIRC, could have also begun after an update to the Fing app, I attempted diagnosing the issue by doing the following: 1) disconnected the FingBox from the router & power, 2) cleared all data from the app & deleted it from my tablet, 3) performed a full reset of the router, 4) reinstalled the app from the Play Store, 5) and finally re-added the FingBox to the network as if new. After reading your replies, I went ahead and removed the assigned owner from each device that is currently active on the network and then reassigned a user for each.

To help you with diagnosing this issue, I'll list other curiosities to the app's UI as viewed from my Android tablet that may or may not be additional issues or clues:
    1) Unlike any other devices on the network, there is no "activity history" on the device management page for the router's 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz radio's (listed as separate access points on the device list), nor is there from the FingBox. Is this standard or not?
    2) After removing the FingBox from the network and the app from my tablet, but before reinstalling both, one thing that I could not figure out was how to clear or reset our network from my Fing account when accessed from my web browser so that I could be confident that I was truly starting over. Could that be causing confusion to how the app or FingBox sees the network and thus the issue at hand?
    3) ADDED @ 2:05pm EST. Another item that is different since our changing ISPs to Xfinity/Comcast as viewed from the "Network" tab, is that "WiFi Intrution Protection" is active on "0" access points. With AT&T/Uverse, this protection was always active. THIS ONE NATURALLY CONCERNS ME! 

@VioletChepil,
     In Re To: "IMPORTANT STEP BEFORE YOU SAVE – for the Digital Presence feature to accurately show when someone is in and out of the home/office, you must set up a Personal Device for that user."  Prior to the issue at hand, I don't ever recall doing as you describe, but I never had any issue with the presence of our network's devices or having them show up on the fence. Is this something fairly new? Would you please explain what I need to do in greater detail. 

I apologize for the length of my posts, but as concise as I'm trying to be, I don't want to gloss over any potentially relevant information that could prove helpful. 

✭✭
    @Marc
    I became so focused on describing everything, I failed to answer your questions, so here goes in all CAPS.

1st question is whether your current devices are all showing up on the device list properly?  For example are the IP addresses and MAC addresses correct?
    YES, THEY APPEAR TO BE ACCURATE.
    If the answer to that is yes, for the presence issue you might want to remove them from your people list and re-add them again.  Hopefully that will clear up the presence issue.
    UNFORTUNATELY THIS DIDN'T HELP! (I actually tried this a few times before without success)
    If there is an issue with recognized devices in the list, that might lead us down a different troubleshooting path.
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY RECOGNIZED DEVICES? ARE YOU REFERRING TO THOSE CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THE NETWORK VERSUS THOSE THAT ARE TURNED OFF?

Thanks for you assistance Marc! 
    ✭✭
    @VioletChepil,
     In Re To: "IMPORTANT STEP BEFORE YOU SAVE – for the Digital Presence feature to accurately show when someone is in and out of the home/office, you must set up a Personal Device for that user."  Prior to the issue at hand, I don't ever recall doing as you describe, but I never had any issue with the presence of our network's devices or having them show up on the fence. Is this something fairly new? Would you please explain what I need to do in greater detail.

Addendum:
    I was probably overthinking this. I assume you just need me to be sure that for each individual on our network, especially anyone with multiple devices, that I first assign their primary personal device (typically their cell phone) to ensure their digital presence. Please let me know if that's correct.

As for non-personal or network hardware devices such as router's, modems, set-top boxes, printers, etc., do these need to be assigned to an individual? What I did was create the name "network" to assign such non-personal devices.

Thank you for your assistance! 
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,147
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@Shooter , I would only assign those devices that are related to an individual. So routers and switches I would imagine would normally not be assigned. The primary device should be something that can show presence like a phone they always carry with them. Something like a tablet, laptop or PC would be their secondary device.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Shooter
    A couple of notes:
    - Can you adjust the range for your DigitalFence? and see if more devices are showing? 
    See here screens for adjusting the SIGNAL. Perhaps you've set this to only very near. 

- Network as presence persona:
    We don't really recommend doing this as this isn't really how the feature is used. We should be monitoring presence like devices that come and go. Routers/switches etc. shouldn't be coming and going from the network.

- Presence screen:
    You mentioned only one device is showing up in the presence screen. This should display users and not devices. Could you attach a screenshot of what you are seeing to help clarify?

- Deleting Fingbox and starting new:
    Here are the steps to delete Fingbox and start from scratch.  

To move your Fingbox to a new network, follow these simple steps:

• Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor 
    Let me know what you need help with next!
    Cheers,
    Violet

✭✭
    @VioletChepil
    Even though your suggestions were very basic & rudimentary troubleshooting steps, I nevertheless appreciate the effort to assist me. Instead, I was able to figure out what was causing one of the major issues I was having, which was virtually nothing showing up on the Digital Fence. As previously stated, since the issues began around the time that we switched ISPs, and my Samsung tablet went through a major software update (which is the device I use to monitor the network with Fing), I naturally assumed that one or the other was the reason for this gliche. What I found that was actually causing the issue, was that I had never noticed the "settings" option for the Digital Fence as represented by the three, side-by-side-by-side dots. Is this new or had I never noticed them before today, because before we switched ISPs a couple of months ago, I never before had to configure any of those settings. Yet all the devices that should have been behind the digital fence, were being protected. Maybe I'm the only one that would suggest making a change, but instead of using those three dots to represent the settings functions, why not stay consistent with the other three categories (Type, Time, Signal) and simply put "Settings" in there place? Had such been the case, I guarantee that I would never have missed those settings. 

Turning attention back to the issue I'm still having with a lack of devices showing on the "Digital Presence" page/screen. Still only one device shows up, which is my wife's cell phone. I have no idea how it would make any difference, but the only thing I can think of is the internet/wifi service account is in her name. As suggested by you and Marc, I unassigned all devices from any name, and then I reassigned a primary, personal device to both my wife and myself (which is exactly as I had before) as the only users regularly on the network anymore, since our kids are away at college. Doing this didn't make any difference. As a side note, I kept all network hardware and other stationary devices unassigned since they never leave the network. So the primary question is, "why is Fing not seeing my tablet, which I naturally assigned to myself?"

Here is a list of other persistent inconsistencies from what is expected from Fing:
    1) WiFi Intrusion Protection - Before switching ISPs, the app always showed that an access point was being protected. But ever since the ISP switch ~2 months ago, it hasn't been protecting any Access Points! (or at least it's not indicated) 
    2) Device History Timeline - Neither of the router's 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz radio's, nor the FingBox has ever shown a history timeline since I added the FingBox to the network ~18 months ago. Is this normal?
    3) Device Network Details - Another unusual change to how Fing is reporting individual device details since the ISP switch is that our three (3) Samsung Smart TVs on the network (from the same 2018 model series) list their operating systems as "macOS" instead of "Tizen". This is more of a curiosity than a security concern, but I would still like to know why. 

Again, I appreciate anything you can suggest. Thank you Violet.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Shooter
    Hopefully I can help you further with the information below. 

1) (This may also be the cause of the presence issue) - Ensure all Access points (APs) are added

In terms of access points, it seems maybe we still need to add an AP.
    Can you check if all access points are added to Fingbox network or not? You can check by verifying the bssids added in network details.
    Network - Click Network Name - Scroll to Access points 
    Here you will see the BSSIDs added to your network. If there aren't any - or some missing - you'll need to add them .

If not can you make sure all access points are added and then make sure location permissions are enabled.

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.
    After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully.

Let me know and then I can inquire about next steps! 

2) This can be normal. I've checked mine and have had no activity on it either. 

3) We're working on improving Device Recognition. 
    - We're trying something to correct device details like those you shared. Right now this is only available on select devices but Smart TVs are included. Could you try and correct the device information using this method here? (It's a beta test and drop any comment on your experience there too...)
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/6301 
    If you follow this category here: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements

You will be updated about new beta tests of this sort and when this feature may be ready.