What are the strange “devices” showing up as new in my Fing list?

pcarney53pcarney53 Member Posts: 4
5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
Just added Fingbox to a small home network in rural setting. Thus far, four devices have made first appearance according to Fing. Descriptions (all the same) include mysimplelan, Texas Instruments, and Ring/ doorbell, each with different URL and MAC addresses. Not aware we have any devices that fit descriptions. Not sure whether this is Fing, WiFi, or misbehaving device issue. 
kltaylorVioletChepil

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pcarney53 said:
    Just added Fingbox to a small home network in rural setting. Thus far, four devices have made first appearance according to Fing. Descriptions (all the same) include mysimplelan, Texas Instruments, and Ring/ doorbell, each with different URL and MAC addresses. Not aware we have any devices that fit descriptions. Not sure whether this is Fing, WiFi, or misbehaving device issue. 
    Hi @pcarney53 welcome to the community.
    Just so that I understand your question completely, the items that you listed above are showing up through your Fingbox, but you do not recognize the items at all?
    When in doubt, block the device from reaching the internet, wait until someone complains.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • pcarney53pcarney53 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I figured that much myself. 
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,823
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They point to both a Ring and Blink device, or at least two do.  If you don't have them installed, I wonder if someone is piggybacking off your wifi network or whether the Fingbox is seriously not resolving them properly.  Check the MACs to see for sure if the manufacturer matches what Fing is seeing as well.  If they don't or don't seem legit, like you and @kltaylor have surmised, I too would block 'em.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Community Manager at Fing

• pcarney53pcarney53 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the responses.  I have determined the unidentified devices are legitimate.  The issue is the three descriptions shown in the Fing listings for each device do not suggest the actual devices.  Two of the descriptions likely refer a chipset and/or software that are part of many brands and types of devices, thus providing little helpful identifying information.  In any case, I now know what they are and have edited the device labels.  
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @pcarney53 for the feedback. We are testing out some improved device recognition and hope to make that available for more devices soon. Here are more details about the test: https://community.fing.com/discussion/1121/improved-device-recognition-for-fingbox-users-testers-needed#latest 
    This is limited to only mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles at present but hopefully we'll be expanding soon.
    If you follow this category here: https://community.fing.com/categories/announcements

You will be notified of new beta tests to join.

Community Manager at Fing