Wi-Fi Performance Test - Fing Box

Beantown
Beantown Member Posts: 26
10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper
My Fing box is no longer letting me run a Wi-Fi performance test from my iPhone or iPad. All it says is that “You must connect this device to a Wi-Fi that can connect to Fingbox.”  But my Fing box is connected to my Wi-Fi network as is my iPhone.  I have tried moving my phone from my 2.4 and 5 ghz ssid but same response.  Was working fine and then just stopped.  Suggestions?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,724
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown, have a read via this link and see if that clears it up.  It could be an iOS 13 permission thing. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Marc - yes @Beantown we've seen this caused when all location permissions may not be enabled.

I initially did not grant my location permissions, but now I have changed my mind. What can I do?

As mentioned, initially, users will be prompted to provide permission to access location. If you have denied it and then reconsider, you must make changes in the  phone settings. To do this,  go to phone Settings -> Fing -> ‘Location Permissions’ .

Community Manager at Fing

• Beantown

Thanks Marc and Violet. I have location in my iPhone for Fing set to “always”, but still no luck. I have tried restarting the app, deleting networks and reinstalling the Fing hardware. However my Fing now only finds my 2.4ghz ssid (not the 5) and still does not allow any wi fi performance test.

Any other thoughts? There isn’t any other location switch that I need to toggle?

My Fing is connected to a network Switch which is plugged into my router. I tried plugging it straight into the router but that did not appear to help.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch could be the problem. We advise to plug Fingbox directly into the main router or access point. Fingbox should work with switches but they can cause problems. Can you plug directly into the main router or access point and try again? 
    Are you using iOS 13? If so, please delete the app and try again once all location permissions are enabled. 

• Beantown
    Hi Violet - attached straight to my router and wiped app again an$ made sure location is set to always on.  Now on the My Network drop down all I see is the Fing box itself (before I was see at least one of my SSID and originally seeing both).  When I select the Fing box and try to run Wi-Fi performance check I get same response - “you must connect this device to a Wi-Fi than can connect to Fingbox.”

Could my Fing box have gone bad?  
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown I'm checking with our support team now. I'll revert today. 

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,893
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Beantown
    First, Can you make sure you have the latest version of the Fing app version and after that we need to make sure the location permissions are enabled. The error you mentioned is related to location permissions. To make sure, Can you follow these steps: 
    1) Open Fing App and go to 'Network' tab 

2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page 

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address. 

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location.

After that, please run the Wifi performance test and see if anything changes.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Beantown

Hi Robin - I will do this when I get home but can you advise:

• In the IOS App, when I select Network on the bottom, what then is the "ISP" tab?  
    • At the top of Network tab is a drop down menu which in the past showed my two SSIDs (2.4ghz and 5).   Since I reinstalled the app and rebooted FING, I now only see an icon of my Fing box followed by its MAC address I believe and the word connected.
    • Below this drop down menu is a row that has a picture of a house and then the name of my ISP provider with a ">" on the right hand side.
    • Below this is Recent events, Protection, Performance (which includes wifi Performance) and then finally From this Device.

One other note, I am using the old Fing Box.  Does that impact anything here?

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,893
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

Beantown said:
    • Below this drop down menu is a row that has a picture of a house and then the name of my ISP provider with a ">" on the right hand side.
    Yes, you have to click the name of the ISP and then you will be able to see your network details and section to add address and below that there is a map section. Follow the above-mentioned steps to make sure location permissions are enabled. Also, It will not impact based on the Fingbox you are using.  There are not many changes in both Fingboxes. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Beantown

Hi Robin - Tonight I went into the ISP tab and made sure the fields labeled "Enter a name", "Enter additional notes" and "Where is this network located" were blank. I then Clicked the bulls eye icon on the map.  Unfortunately when I ran the Wi-Fi performance test I still got the same message “You must connect the to the Wi-Fi”.

Any other thoughts?

• Beantown
    Robin/Violet - after the fix Robin suggested did not work, I tried doing a hard reset of the Fing box tonight.  I followed Violet’s directions under a different thread to reset the box.  Unfortunately, now my Fing box is stuck on a white light and will not reactivate.  I have rebooted a number of times per Violet’s directions, and swapped cables, etc.  I have now concluded my box must be bad.  Is their a warranty with the device (owned less then a year)?    
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown yes we have 2 year manufacturer warranty. 
    I'm now creating a support ticket from this thread for further investigation of your unit. 
    They will look into your device/MAC address if stuck on white LED.
    Just be sure that you are not somehow stuck in the rebooting process which can happen. Just adding those directions here again for you:
    Here are the full steps to go through!
    Reset Fingbox
    1. Unplug the Fingbox power adaptor from the wall outlet
    2. Find the RESET hole beside the Fingbox power port
    3. Gently insert a paperclip in the RESET hole (very gently)
    4. While keeping the RESET button gently pressed, plug the power adaptor back in
    5. Keep the RESET button pressed for 30 seconds and release (or until a single white light flashes on the device)
    6. You should now see a single white light on
    7. After a few seconds, the top circle will start flashing, while the original factory software is loaded
    8. This process lasts for a few minutes (~3 min)
    9. A single white light will mark the end of the process
    10. Power off the Fingbox
    11. Wait 5 seconds
    12. Power it back on

Please let me know if anything changes.

• Beantown
    @Violet
    After my old Fing box locked on white, per your suggestion, I tried seeing if the reset button was stuck. Good news is that the device did come back online, bad news is that the reset button broke in the process. Meanwhile, I ordered a new Fing box on Amazon to see if that would work. Unfortunately it gives me the same result when I try and run a wi-if performance test (cannot find network). 
    I also note that both Fing boxes under My Network drop down menu on app show only the Fing boxes, not my access points.  Is that correct?
    In the Network tab when I click my ISP provider (house at top of screen) to show the map and more detail on my network, I also don’t see any information relating to my access point SSIDs.  Should I?
    I now have 2 Fing boxes (one bought last December from Amazon and one bought this week on Amazon) both not giving me full functionality.  Please help!
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok @Beantown I think you need to ensure you APs are added OK. 
    In oder to monitor all access points, you can add the access point under Wifi Intrusion Protection. For Mesh system, if they are not creating a separate gateway than the router and sharing the same gateway then Fingbox will be able to see devices connected to all access points. You can verify how many access points are being monitored by Fingbox by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). 

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID.  

In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first, you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.  
     After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully. 

Please let me know how you get on with these steps and I'm happy to help you further.

For first broken Fingbox, since in warranty period -> I'd keep seeing about RMA via the support ticket. We can't handle the RMA on the community etc...

• Beantown

@violet I am on Network tab. On top is the My Networks pull down menu. That only shows my new Fing box (deactivated broken one).

Below that is the name of my ISP provider with its IP address and arrow to right. Below that is recent Events then Notifications, then Protection and finally Performance.

Where are Network Details?

If I click the arrow next to the name of my Internet provider name that brings up the screen with the fill in names at top and map. Indeed that is Network Setup but I don’t see any of my SSID listed. Only Netmask, Gateway, DNS, IPv6 and Type.

• Beantown

@violet one more thing. Under Wi-Fi protection, it indicates protecting zero access point. I also don’t see any way to add an access point on this page. Should I? See picture

i have run a number of scans on both my ssid. I see them in the device menu but not listed anywhere else.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok network details are here: 
    See at top name of network -> then click in -> and you would see all the APs added under BSSIDs. 
    Could you let me know if all the APs are added on your network Fingbox there? 
    If not, you need to connect to each, run a Fing scan and let the app know they are part of your network. 

• Beantown

@VioletChepil

So in your picture, the name of the Network is Fing OFC, and that drop down menu is what you click to see the APs?

On my App at top of Network page all I see is this “- ^”. When I click it, then I see my new Fing box only. No APs.

Per your suggestion, I ran a network scam from my phone on my two ssids (2.4 and 5 ghz). Still neither appeared on my app.

If I deactivate the Fing box and run scans then while I still only see “- ^” no name - when I look at drop down menu I can see two IP addresses listed (but not indicating any SSID name next to each address).

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, don't click the drop down. Instead click through on the name of the network. 
    This is where you get all the BSSIDs attached to the network. 

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a small arrow on that section and you can click through on it. Where it says COLT

• Beantown

@VioletChepil wheb I click that arrow I see this information

• Enter Name (blank)
    • Enter Address (blank)
    • Where is this network located? (Blank)
    • Map with a target button (which I have pressed to locate me)
    • Network Setup - in which I see (1) Netmask, (2) Gateway, (3) DNS, (4) IPv6, (5) Type.
    • Internet Provider - (1) ISP, (2) Speed, (3) Public Address, (4) Hostname, (5) Location and (6) Time Zone
    • add to install Domitz

I don’t see any of my SSIDs listed or a way to add them?

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't any area called access points?
    Could you please send a screenshot?
    What version of the app are you running on your mobile phone and what version is it?
    I'm thinking maybe based on what you describe, this is an older version of the app. 

• Beantown

@VioletChepil my app version is 8.5.2. Tried deleting and reinstalling many times.

Happy to send a picture of my network but is their a private way of doing this - email?

i note, I have not heard back from the support folks on RMA.

• Beantown
  • Beantown

@VioletChepil - I posted a snapshot of what I see when I click the right arrow next to my Internet provider name in the Network tab. I wiped the address info but hopefully this helps.

Above this is information I see this:

• Enter Name (blank)
    • Enter Address (blank)
    • Where is this network located? (Blank)
    • Map with a target button (which I have pressed to locate me)

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown
    I believe the reason for no access points being added is because of the location permissions. 

If you are unable to see the location permissions for the Fing App under phone settings then, I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and go to 'Network' tab

2) Click on the ISP tab and it will open the Network page

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

After making sure the location permissions are enabled and you are able to see the Access points then run the Wifi performance test and see if this helps. @Beantown

Let me know how you get on with this. 

Robin_from_Fing
  • Beantown

@VioletChepil thos morning I tried again and or some reason my phone started finding access points again. I am not sure why. But now I see an Access point in the IP address tab and Wi-Fi performance is working. The only problem is when I try to refresh the device list it won’t work. I deactivated the Fing and then it let me run one device scan until it found the Fing. Then again it won’t let me run a new scan. Any idea?

My iPad app is still not working. But progress.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown I'm not sure how to help any further on this one. I'm not aware of any similar issue.
    Do you have any screenshots of this? I've checked with support and they suggested just going through the ZenDesk ticket now as this case is not something we've had before. 

• Beantown
    @VioletChepil I have not had any response on my ticket either on this issue or to provide instruction on return of my broken Fing.  Again, in trying to fix this, I have purchased a second Fing.  Neither are allowing the Wi-Fi performance test
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Beantown I've checked in on your ticket and its in a pending state. This means its waiting for your feedback. Could you write back to the support agent @Robin
    I don't have anything further to add right now at this very moment.

But, in parallel I'm investigating some other members experiencing the same and will report back if I get any further information or if a trend is seen on this. 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help here, but the best bet is to go through the support ticket and I'll update you here if I identify any more news about this.