PSA: More instances where your Home Voice Assistant can turn on you

PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Devices & Security
Just in case you thought it was safe to say "OK, Google", along comes this...
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/alexa-and-google-home-abused-to-eavesdrop-and-phish-passwords/ 

If you ever wanted to watch what you say around Google and Alexa, then now's the time to do it.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
VioletChepilRobinCiarankltaylor

Comments

• pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 134
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    If you read all the way to the end of the article, the authors say that there is "little or no evidence third-party apps are actively threatening Alexa and Google Home users now" but that it's possible that new ones could be created. I expect that as White Hats find more vulnerabilities and report them, Amazon and Google will find ways to defeat them. It (like all warfare) is an eternal see-saw battle between attack and defense. Frankly, eavesdropping by digital assistants is not very high on my list of worries.

That said, any unsolicited request for a password or other personal information would raise a very large red flag for me.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worrying thing @pwmeek is that the window between 'not now' and 'now' is quickly diminishing... Given how easy it is these days to sneak malware into the Google Play store, for example, it may already be an attack vector bad actors are about to exploit.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,228
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironically, I just read the article that I posted here.
    I mean what the heck folks ...
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil