Where do you keep your Fingbox?

OrganicOrganic Member Posts: 4
First Anniversary Founder Photogenic First Comment
✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fingbox
Hi All.  Interested to know where you keep your Fingbox.  I did have mine in an accessible place, but then got paranoid that if someone saw it they could just unplug it to stop it working - so now have it on the network but out of view.  Am I being paranoid?!  I didn't take much notice of the LEDs so I don't feel like I have lost much.
tebashamVioletChepilKenD

Comments

• tebashamtebasham Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Mine is with the rest of the network equipment, out of sight.  It's not that the device is unsightly but doesn't really fit in anywhere out in the open.
    VioletChepilbenhelps
  • rambudorambudo Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Comment

Due to the ethernet cable, it is right next to my router. That is right next to the only cable input to my little home, so below the TV in the living room.

VioletChepil
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 271
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a small shelf on the wall behind the tv in our den.  While you can see it, you have to be looking for it.  And there's no way to physically access it without removing the tv from the credenza.
    VioletChepil
  • pdeinselenpdeinselen Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I keep mine on my work desk (which has two desktops and up to two laptops at any given time).
    Modem > Router > Switch > Wall port to office desk > Switch > Fingbox
    VioletChepil
  • adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 63
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, hidden away with the rest of the main house networking switches/isp router etc.  It's mounted vertically via industrial velcro ! 
    benhelpsVioletChepil
  • JoemooseJoemoose Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Cable closet stuck on the wall with velcro as well. Organized and out of sight.
    VioletChepil
  • DarrenHillDarrenHill Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    On my desk below the monitor shelf and behind the keyboard. Shares that little area with a network switch, a smarthome box and a plethora of Pi's (4 and counting I think, although there may be more as I swear they multiply under there!).

Nice and out of the way, but still visible so I can see the colour indicators etc easily if I need to.
    VioletChepil
  • BryceBryce Member Posts: 20
    10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is behind the tv with the router, ups and other network equipment.  Most important was to immediately turn OFF all lights so it didn't attract the attention of the children whom I use fingbox to control their screen time on wifi. The kids haven't even looked at the box or realize they can unplug it, they think I do everything from my phone :smile:

GidsterVioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is on my desk at my room.
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,351
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In the basement, tucked out of the way by the cable model and network switch.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,351
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In the basement, tucked out of the way by the cable model and network switch.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 127
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Different Fingboxes, different places.
    fingbox 1 (private LAN): placed on top of my 24-port Unifi-Switch in technical room, where also is placed NASes and router (also coverec by UPS)
    fingbox 2 (guest LAN): same place as fingbox 1
    fingbox 3 (parents home): placed in living-room next to phone and router.
    fingbox 4 and 5 are in office use, two firms. Placed in servers-room, to protect the server and get locked inside the room itself.
    XenophodGidsterVioletChepil
  • KenDKenD Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Organic said:
    Hi All.  Interested to know where you keep your Fingbox.  I did have mine in an accessible place, but then got paranoid that if someone saw it they could just unplug it to stop it working - so now have it on the network but out of view.  Am I being paranoid?!  I didn't take much notice of the LEDs so I don't feel like I have lost much.
    I like to keep mine in full view, if I think the Internet might be down or issues with the Orbi's, one look at the fingbox will confirm if the router lost internet or our mesh has lost wifi. Tends to be the Mesh system more often than not.
    Gidster
  • yozhyozh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    In my rack, with all the rest of the network gear :) 
    VioletChepil
  • DewaldDewald Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    In my network closet, but I'm thinking of moving it to a more novel place. My wifi is terrible in the kitchen area, where we spend a lot of time. All users also know to check the fingbox lights for status, so I'm now toying with the idea of mounting an access point and the fingbox in the kitchen fan light. We rarely use the fan and never use that light, so I think having the fingbox status lights in such a pertinent but safe position will be special. Thoughts?
    Fingboy
    VioletChepil
  • XenophodXenophod Member Posts: 10
    5 Likes Name Dropper Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Mine is in the kitchen, behind a small TV on the counter next to the refrigerator. 
    VioletChepil
  • CaptainBuckCaptainBuck Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment

Mine is in a cupboard mounted to the wall. For a long time it was abseiling down the wall, suspended by its ethernet cable to a wall mounted switch like many other home automation hubs and raspberry pi's. 😱

I finally took pity on them and support them in modified plastic tubs you get with takeaway Chinese, which I screwed to the backboard.

They were very grateful and now cheer in unison when I open the cupboard door!!

😂🤣😂🤣

GidsterdynvorPaulPVioletChepil
  • PaulPPaulP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Bottom shelf of the cupboard/wardrobe with all the other hubs and deivces that need to be connected :-)
    We live in a small house (not tiny, but small) so space is a premium.
  • StefanSKStefanSK Member Posts: 4
    Photogenic Founder First Comment
    ✭✭
    The FingBox is sitting on my desktop, just next to the monitor. So I can see instantly if anything changes ...
    VioletChepil
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,193
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    My Fingbox is in the Hall hidden behind a couch where the router is sitting as well. Nobody can notice Fingbox unless you tell them where to look for. So, I don't worry about anyone unplugging it. :wink:
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    VioletChepil
  • jw_nedjw_ned Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    In a small closet in the hall, where the fiber comes in, the router and switch are, the philps hue box is, etc, etc.  So there are a lot of boxes there and nobody in my family would consider unplugging one as they are afraid of losing their most valuable wifi.
    Regards, Jacco
    VioletChepil