How to change a fingbox to a new location

pwmeek
pwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 143
Third Anniversary 100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers
✭✭✭
I just moved to a new apartment. I have left behind the dozens of smarthouse devices and am taking only a few personal devices. What is the best way to either remove all the known and unknown devices or start fresh. If starting fresh, how do I avoid picking up all the myriad devices (and wifi networks) of the neighboring apartments?
--Pete
Bon Vivant and Raconteur
VioletChepil

Best Answers

• VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Answer ✓
    Hi @pwmeek Fing App stores your custom names/notes of devices locally for your Fing account. If you are to deactivate your Fingbox to move it to your new network, those names/notes should transfer over. You'll then need to connect Fingbox to your new network and Login with the same account. 
    Move Fingbox to a New Network
    • Visit the Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on. 
    Reduce the noise from Digital Fence:
    Let me know any further help you need.

Community Manager at Fing

pwmeek
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 Answer ✓
    @pwmeek - we don't have a transition process from V1 to V2.
    You'd deactivate the V1 Fingbox and start again with the V2 Fingbox. The device customizations should be saved locally. I'd suggest disconnecting the V1, onboarding the V2 and then deactivating the V1. All other configurations (alerts, tests, Internet pause) would need to be done again! 

Hronos

Answers

• Gidster
    Gidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Just moving this to Fingbox discussion
    Head of Product at Fing
    pwmeek
  • pwmeek
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019 #5
    Does the fingbox need to be plugged in to the new network in order to delete old networks? Using your instructions, I was able to disconnect the fingbox from my old network (which no longer exists), but In FingApp>Networks>My Networks I am left with two instances (don't know why two) of my old network (one with 46/108 and the second with 3 devices). Neither of these can be deleted, giving an error message of "Failed to remove from Account".
    EDIT: I am reluctant to hook up the fingbox until I am ready to fend off all the wifi activity around here.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
  • Gearhunter
    Gearhunter Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

I have the same issue. I’m unable to remove networks from my account, receiving the same message as yourself. Can’t find any help to fix this.

• pwmeek
    ✭✭✭
    Bump.
    This becomes a new question. What happens when I plug a new V2 into a new network. I really want to forget my old network (with all the abandoned smarthouse devices) and start anew.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lusu just splitting your question off into a new thread! 

• Lusu
    Lusu Member Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Comment
    Let me clarify my question: would I be able to reconnect to an old network by “swiping to deactivate” the new network? Will a “swipe to deactivate” allow me to switch back and forth between networks? It sounds like I’d be able to do this if Fing will remember networks even though Fing is only capable of connecting to one network at a time. Thank you, Lusu
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭