What router/extender/mesh network for Hyperoptic ISP in London, UK?

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
I use Hyperoptic and am based in London, UK. I'm not sure if Hyperoptic supports Google Mesh Networks (the ideal solution). I've cruised around to try and find further details on this.
Anyone else using Hyperoptic? And could you recommend the best solution to get connectivity through my house? Right now, the signal in my top floor is very intermittent and weak. 

Community Manager at Fing

Best Answers

• LucaLuca Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I'm on the top floor as well and it's fine. That said I had to have a hard wired extender put in the other place and that works really well, so I suspect the mesh system is the answer. Thick stone, concrete, wiring and other appliances can have a huge effect on WiFi penetration, so it's always worth getting a professional in to test before splashing the cash.

• TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @VioletChepil I can appreciated the cabling situation, I recently had to install some of the Devolo kit for my boss for the very same reason.
    I'd highly recommend this kit - https://www.ebuyer.com/670543-devolo-9392-dlan-powerline-1200-wifi-ac-starter-kit-9392
    That would allow you to plug your desktop directly into the adaptor or connect to it via the WiFi.
    Super easy to connect together too, I just tend to plug them both into the same extension lead, put the connection buttons on them both and they connect within a second or two. Then you can just plug one into your router, the other up near your desktop 2 floors up. You can then decide how you want to configure the WiFi, either range extender, standalone AP etc.
    VioletChepil

Answers

• TheCustomCaveTheCustomCave Member, Beta Tester Posts: 48
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    In these sort of situations, my first suggestion is always to run a cable and install another access point in the weak zone.
    If that's not practical then there are a number of solutions for mesh networks, powerline meshes, extenders etc. They're never 100% reliable and I often find things like streaming services, Chromecasts etc. will tend to struggle or be choppy.
    TP-Link and Devolo tend to be the better options for powerline kit so I'd be tempted to try that option. Assuming it's a reasonably new property the wiring should good enough to support a decent speed over powerline so you can move that around to suit.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback @TheCustomCave

TheCustomCave
  • LucaLuca Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭

I use Hyperoptic, with fibre direct into the apartment, then their supplied router for WiFi. That obviates the need for any further kit.

It's good and the customer service is usually excellent.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Luca I'm using that one too. It's just on my top floor I have such poor coverage. I've tried an extender and it never really did the trick. I've been recommended Mesh network by some colleagues. But after reading online I cannot sort out what the best option for hyperoptic is. 

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheCustomCave thanks for the tips. I think cabling would be a bit difficult as it is over 2 floors up. I'll check out the Tp-link and Devolo. Do you have any specific device models you'd recommend? I tried a Netgear one and it was fritzy - well also difficult to get working, I gave up and returned it. If you have any great extenders you'd recommend I could try and find one of those in the UK. 

I do have some basic knowledge of networks (from working at Fing/using Fingbox etc.) but I'm by no means any expert ^^ but really trying to get more powerful WiFi on that top floor where my desktop computer is living! I need something easy to use as a main point! 

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil I can appreciated the cabling situation, I recently had to install some of the Devolo kit for my boss for the very same reason.
    I'd highly recommend this kit - https://www.ebuyer.com/670543-devolo-9392-dlan-powerline-1200-wifi-ac-starter-kit-9392
    That would allow you to plug your desktop directly into the adaptor or connect to it via the WiFi.
    Super easy to connect together too, I just tend to plug them both into the same extension lead, put the connection buttons on them both and they connect within a second or two. Then you can just plug one into your router, the other up near your desktop 2 floors up. You can then decide how you want to configure the WiFi, either range extender, standalone AP etc.
    Thanks a lot for this suggestion! I'm having a look at this now. 

TheCustomCave