Under devices I see my router and x.x.x.1 IP and a device "generic" which is on .254 of my router I

fingmefingme Posts: 1Member
Just installed Fing Box. When I look at my initial devices, in order to identify them, I see my router at x.x.x.1 and Mac Address ends in A and I see the Model/Model#. But there is another device that has the same MAC address except it ends in B and it is at x.x.x.254. The model name is the same but there is no model # and that is all the info. Also Fing Box lists it as Generic. I kind of want to block device, but not sure whether it is supposed to be there. Xfinity Router.
Tagged:

Answers

• PoohPooh Posts: 675Member, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, @fingme and welcome to the community.

Does this thread help any? : https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/unknown-node-on-my-LAN/td-p/2407079

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • PoohPooh Posts: 675Member, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @VioletChepil - is this a candidate for the Fingbox category?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh I've moved this one over now! I wonder if there are any other Xfinity users that could help on this. I'm inquiring also internally for any further details about it too. 

Community Manager at Fing

Pooh
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As I can see from what you described that the device you are trying to block is your own router. If the router has multiple network interface, you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. Every router supports multiple frequencies (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) because of multiple network interface in its hardware. 
    As you can see from the MAC address, the first 6 digits of the MAC address will be same. As you try to block the device, this would mean that you are trying to block one of the frequencies of the router. Thus, providing you with In-range and Online alert. 
    You can check the vendor of the device by the external link below.  
    Link to check the MAC address: https://aruljohn.com/mac/0CEAC9 

Community Manager at Fing