Wifi intrusion protection

MosbyMosby Posts: 12Member, Beta Tester
5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
Dear Fing community, my Fing box shows that intrusion protection is on, but it always shows that zero packets have been inspected. My network is set up on Google mesh. Any ideas? Than you.
Tagged:
kltaylorVioletChepil

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 760Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mosby said:
    Dear Fing community, my Fing box shows that intrusion protection is on, but it always shows that zero packets have been inspected. My network is set up on Google mesh. Any ideas? Than you.
    I have to be honest, I don't have an answer for you on this one.  I'm not too familiar with Google mesh, let me do a bit of research and get back to you on this.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firewall
    Google Wifi’s firewall creates a barrier between your Wi-Fi network and the Internet, protecting your data from unsolicited connections or connection attempts. It’s a stateful firewall, which keeps track of connections (TCP streams, UDP communication) traveling across it. Only data associated with a known active connection is allowed through the firewall.

I'm wondering if this is already handled through this feature in the Google mesh device?  Maybe @Pooh @Carlo_from_Fing and/or @Gidster can 'weigh-in' on this with us.
    RobinVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mosby With Google Mesh networks, almost all the features of the Fingbox will work except for Wifi Intrusion Protection, Bandwidth Analysis, Internet Speed Test and Vulnerability test for open ports. Fingbox is compatible with both a single Google Wi-Fi network. It also works with two Google Wi-Fi mesh networks. With three or more than three Wifi Network, there might be some errors in using the above-mentioned features.

Google Wifi’s firewall creates a barrier between your Wi-Fi network and the Internet, protecting your data from unsolicited connections or connection attempts. It’s a stateful firewall, which keeps track of connections (TCP streams, UDP communication) traveling across it. Only data associated with a known active connection is allowed through the firewall.

The reason for getting 0 access points, is that if your devices are connected to 5ghz instead of the 2.4ghz network, you won't see any access points protected on Fing App. If you try to turn off the 5ghz network and then reboot the device and connect to your network then you will be able to see your access points. Currently, Fingbox is not able to monitor completely with the 5ghz network as it lacks the antenna to monitor the 5ghz network which will be updated in Fingbox V2 hardware. In order to add the access point for V1-Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab. After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully.

Let me know how you get on and any more details you need! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylorCarlo_from_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned something new today, thanks to @VioletChepil =)
    VioletChepil
  • MosbyMosby Posts: 12Member, Beta Tester
    Thank you both! I'll take a look at this and let you know how it goes... Really appreciate all the (very fast) help.
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyPosts: 229Fing Team
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil answer is very comprehensive. I'd add only that in one of our labs we have Google Wi-Fi (with 2 points) and it works perfectly.
    You need to follow the steps explained by Violet in order to have Fingbox know all your AP's.
    Only if you have a Fingbox v2 it'll cover also the 5ghz band.

One last point: when you activate Fingbox it performs autodiscovery of all BSSID/channels that your Wi-Fi router is covering, and it auto-adds all BSSID's automatically. For security reasons, this is done only once, when you activate the fingbox in your network.

Carlo from Fing

• MosbyMosby Posts: 12Member, Beta Tester
    You guys are the best. I couldn't find a way to get my Google Wi-Fi (two points) to select only one frequency or the other. And from what I've read, it's designed to actively/constantly works across both bands. But, in any event, I rebooted my (v1) Fingbox and it re-discovered BSSIDs and identified my access point and is now working perfectly. See below. So problem solved.
    Thanks so much.

Carlo_from_FingRobin