all of a sudden lots of notification

frbfrb Posts: 4Member, Beta Tester
Photogenic First Comment
edited September 2019 in Fingbox
hi all,
since a couple days i get many many notification. anyone seeing the same? anyone know what is going on?
i used to get only notifications when a new device joined but now i get loads of notifications. see below. i did not change anything in fing.
thanks
frank

Comments

• frbfrb Posts: 4Member, Beta Tester
    Photogenic First Comment
    also weird: see below, taken from the fing notification e-mails. fingbox itself changes mac adres?? (and f0:23:b9:eb:3d:07, again different, is the printed on the back of the box)

MAC addressF0:23:B0:EB:3D:07
    MAC address0E:23:B9:EB:3D:07 

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there, I'm happy to help troubleshoot this. Are you by chance using a mesh network? Sometimes, this can cause these stream of alerts.

A gateway is a device that routes traffic between two separate networks. The best example of a gateway within your home network is your router. This acts as a gateway between your own personal network and your broadband provider’s network.  

So when you receive an alert from your Fingbox that a new gateway has appeared on your network it means that a device has become a gateway. This could be something usual (e.g. some triband routers have an interchangeable pool of addresses that change a lot), or could be coming from a device which redirects everything to itself (e.g. a hardware firewall), or could be a device that has been attached to your network that you weren’t aware is redirecting all the data.  

Fingbox will alert you when it notices a new gateway so you can investigate if it is coming from a trusted or malicious source.  

When a new device joins a network, then it tends to distribute traffic through itself. If you do not know what the new gateway is, check to see if a new device has recently joined your network – this most likely will be the source of the new gateway. If it is a device you do not recognize then block it straight away.  

If you have multiple access points and if some devices are connected with both then you might find this gateway change alert. Even if the new device get connected to a different access point and Fingbox is connected to another access point, then Fingbox will detect it as some other access point is redirecting the traffic and thus giving you with an alert. I would like you to follow these steps: 

1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 

2) Wait for a minute or two. 

3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 

4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 

5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 

6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 

7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Let me know how you get on with the above.

Thank you! 

Community Manager at Fing

Photogenic First Comment
    hi violet,

thanks for your help.

i did do what you suggested only i am not sure how "clearing up the cache" under 6 is done?

it does look like i still get superfluous notifications: now, 5 minutes after restarting i got a "new device - fingbox joined home"-notification and e-mail. the mac-address is again different from what is printed on the fingbox. see below (F0:23:59:E5:3D:07 vs F0:23:B9:EB:3D:07). strange? 5 and 5 to B and B???

i will let you know how it behaves...

thanks
    frank

thanks
    frank

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKPosts: 2,471Member
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @frb I'm inquiring with the support team to get more details about this one...

Community Manager at Fing

• RobinRobin Posts: 770Administrator
    50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @frb
    Can you tell me about your network set up and where the Fingbox is connected. From the looks of the screenshots, it looks like some device on your network is trying to spoof Fingbox MAC address but not completely. If you have any unknown device on your network, I would request you to remove the device from the network by blocking it. Fingbox can't change MAC address and its MAC address will always start with F0:23:B9:XX:XX:XX. If none of MAC address is the same as the first 6 digits on the alerts then it is not a Fingbox device which is being alerted for. 
    Once I know about your network set up if you have any external firewall connected or some extenders/switches connected, I will be able to understand this issue more. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Photogenic First Comment
    hi robin,
    this all started a couple days ago, before that i have had the fingbox running without any problems since its indiegogo inception
    you can take a look at my network through my fingbox account? basically i have 3 google wifi/mesh access points (all wired) setup with one of them as the "master" connected to my dsl modem. the wired lan is tied together with a netgear switch. i do not think there is a malicious device as all new devices are detected by the fingbox and i check them all. the fingbox is connected to the switch. please let me know what else you need to know?
    thanks,
    frank
  • RobinRobin Posts: 770Administrator
    50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @frb
    I believe the reason for these alerts is because of the Google mesh set up. With Google Mesh networks, almost all the features of the Fingbox will work except for Wifi Intrusion Protection, Bandwidth Analysis, Internet Speed Test and Vulnerability test for open ports. Fingbox is compatible with both a single Google Wi-Fi network. It also works with two Google Wi-Fi mesh networks. With three or more than three Wifi Network, there might be some errors in using the above-mentioned features.
    With your mesh system, the alerts are detecting a virtual MAC address (made up mac address) to share the connection and Fingbox is picking those as new or unknown connections. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!