Welcome to the Devices and Security category on the community

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Devices & Security

Welcome to the Devices and Security category on the community.  :)

This category is for everything devices, Internet of Things (IoT) and security. 

• Share your view on your favorite devices

• Ask for device recommendations and feedback from the community

• Having problems making a device work as it should?

• Ask questions about security or share recommendations

Other helpful posts for getting started on the Community:

Happy posting!  <3

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:

Comments

• LeeLee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    As I posted in my introduction, I often beta test and write reviews for new products. Would anyone at Fing have a problem if I write about other devices and products under this category that I think might be on interest to the Community?
    For example, last year, about the same time I purchased my Fing, I was also looking at a similar device called "Syfer", which had just started a campaign on Indiegogo. I contacted the company to inquire about beta testing Syfer for them. I let them know I already had a Fing and said I could provide a comparison between the 2 devices.  Their initial response was enthusiastic. But their design and implementation took much longer than they anticipated. I also learned that I could not simply plug Syfer into my wireless router as I could the Fing because the Syfer wouldn't prtect my wireless signal that way. In order to do that, Syfer has to be plugged in between the incoming router and another wireless router. I relayed my displeasure about that to Syfer. When it came time to open their beta testing they decided they no longer wanted me to test their device. Syfer is finally shipping their device, but it doesn't stack up to Fing IMHO.  As I've discussed, it would require another wireless router for my setup, the device itself is a more expensive than Fing, and it requires a subscription, making it a lot more expensive than Fing if you include a lifetime subscription ($349.00)!

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh @Lee that is such great news and it would be fabulous if you could start writing some device reviews. Feel free to post under devices and security for now, or you can send me by DM and we can find a place for them. Actually if we get a couple in there we could even start a new category or sub-category for these. And we'd be happy to promote those posts too on social media/newsletters etc. in the future if the community is loving them. We definitely want the community to cover much more than just Fing App/Fingbox. This would be really helpful to get started! I think device reviews definitely belong here on the Fing Community and then others can comment/discuss them too. Thanks a lot! 

Bosjr
  • LeeLee Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper Founder 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Great! Happy to help!
    VioletChepil
  • SintxSintx Member Posts: 13
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper

Definitely great to have unbiased feedback on new (beta) solutions. Especially as we slowly move towards everything connected and huge commercial pressures to collect everyone’s information under a veil of anonymizes data.

VioletChepil
  • rgagnergagne Member Posts: 5
    5 Likes Founder Photogenic First Comment
    ✭✭
    I love that fing for the most part you set it and forget it
    I mean that in the greatest sense
    you get your reports but you can set it up on a network and not worry about it taking anything down

thank you
    Mariusvamkltaylor
  • MariusvamMariusvam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭
    Another thing I love about fing is that besides of being a device to install and forget, also it has been a great tool to monitor, manage and protect any network you have a fing plugged into.
    HronosVioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mariusvam thanks a lot for the comments !!!