Recommendations for the best Password Manager

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Devices & Security
One of the most common and relatively challenging IT issues is people forgetting their passwords (or opting for low security ones so they don't forget). Password Managers are meant to be a solution but how helpful are they? Which ones do you use and recommend?

I'll get the ball rolling with SafeInCloud. I use it to store all my sensitive info, not just passwords, but have not had much joy using the browser extension to autofill. I love it as it's on all the OSes and devices I use and syncs to Google Drive - so I can always reach up to date data. It's also one of the few apps I use on Android with biometric login, which really speeds things up.

In contrast, I've not become a fan of LastPass. We use it at work to share access to services that only allow one login. It's quite a different beast to SafeInCloud, with a focus on automating login rather than a wallet for sensitive info. But I found it far too pushy, by default  constantly jumping in wanting to take over every login - for work and personal sites.
Head of Product at Fing
VioletChepilkltaylor

Comments

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,286
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 1Password.  It works across Mac iOS and windows, does well as complex password suggestions and in the case of iOS is supported natively for providing app and web passwords. The product, like safeincloud, can also store all sorts of information besides passwords. https://1password.com/
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Myki as of late, and I am so glad that I switched.  The biggest thing that pushed me towards this application, is that my passwords aren't saved on anyone's "cloud" server, it syncs to your phone and then to your other devices.
    There's a process where you can backup your data and save it to your own cloud, too.  I like knowing where my data is at all times, especially when it comes to saved passwords, cards, etc.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    MarcVioletChepil
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I like LastPass. I tried several others (free and paid) but settled on LP. What I don't like is the built-in "Do you want me to save that?" in browsers like Chrome and the MacOS. When you change a password (as you should, or may be forced to) it can be a real bear finding exactly what or where that old password is stored. I really like LastPass for the device-wide syncing. Change a password in one place and it's changed everywhere.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    kltaylorHronosMarcVioletChepil
  • RomulusRomulus Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I use keepass, again not stored in the cloud so you know where your passwords are kept.
    kltaylorMarcVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Romulus said:
    I use keepass, again not stored in the cloud so you know where your passwords are kept.
    I used that before I moved to Myki.  The reason why I liked it, is that you can save the database that it generates to your own cloud environment, then all of your mobile devices can access it from there.
    MarcVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pwmeek I am using LastPass too! I do find it a bit clumsy and buggy at times though. Do you find the same issues? 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using LastPass at home for years, and now we're using it at Work. Is it the absolute best? Not in the slightest, however it has been pretty gosh-darned stable for me all this time.

We did try out DashLane for our corporate plan and it was an absolute disaster. An unmitigated mess from cradle to grave so I'm sure as heck never looking at that again.

1Password is something I'm playing around with but it's very early days yet.

From a corporate perspective, the controls around LastPass are especially impressive and made our resident Security Officer one heck of a happy little camper.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    kltaylorHronos
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,286
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pooh I’ve been using 1Password for years, never had an issue with it. Note that I don’t use the subscription version so can’t talk on it if there are differences and I keep the products data in sync via iCloud.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I'll add my vote for 1Password as well.  Even if I am a little biased by supporting a Canadian company. :)
    All joking aside, they have an amazing product.  I use the subscription based model for the Family account and it's great.  I highly recommend it.
    kltaylorGidsterHronos
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 138
    100 Comments 100 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    @pwmeek I am using LastPass too! I do find it a bit clumsy and buggy at times though. Do you find the same issues? 
    I haven't noticed any problems that I can directly attribute to LP. I do find a lot of interference from other password-saving  systems that are hard to track down like the automatic attempts to save passwords (and fill them in against my wishes) built into many browsers and OSs, but I don't think these problems can be blamed on LP.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    VioletChepil
  • Systops5Systops5 Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    I definitely Vote for LastPAss, while the Free Version does not sync across devices, you can use a singular login and access the Web Version of your Password DB from anywhere. While some people may fear using LastPass or another similar password management solutions may be heading out due to the latest vulnerability, while I don't necessarily agree with that statement, I will say that you if you use one, you should ensure you are using the latest versions, keep up on patches (is using an Addon or 3rd Party App, and  ensure you are using 2 Factor Authentication. Not doing so could leave you at risk, but it may be the best solution especially is you have different passwords for all your different sites, and online accounts. Storing them locally is not much safer, and in many ways far more risky then keeping them in a Password Manager. Of the different ones I have used, LastPass comes out with my highest rating for security and ease of use. 
    pwmeekkltaylorVioletChepil
  • YesYes Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

I have been using Keeper for quite some years. The app has always been stable and has more than enough features for normal use. Lately however I wanted to share some of the accounts with a family member. But since the price for a family membership was significantly higher then that for a one-person membership, I decided to check for an alternative.

I've spent some time testing a few of the features of Dashlane, Lastpass and Bitwarden. The docker version of Bitwarden I'm running now has al the features I need and that for free. Self hosting the docker version, automatically grants a premium membership.

On top of that, now I'm also fully in control of (and yes, also fully responsible for ;-) this invaluable data.

The answer is Yes! The question is the question?

VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @pwmeek yes true. We do a lot safe password sharing if necessary and I experience more issues with that! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • VFWCA18VFWCA18 USAMember Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I've used RoboForm for years and have never had a hiccup.  It works seamlessly with all browsers.  It also provides a password generator along with an area to keep notes and personal information.  When ordering online I can select a card and the program fills in the info.  I recommend looking into this password manager.
    kltaylorMarcVioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't heard from Roboform in years.  Holy cow ... =)
    MarcVioletChepil