Getting "Wi-Fi Security Alert New or Rogue Access Point detected" What do I do?

norse2norse2 Posts: 1Member
edited September 2019 in Fingbox
Every day I am getting an email message with a consistent MAC address listed for "Wi-Fi Security Alert   New or Rogue Access Point detected."
Is the fingbox protecting my network or just letting me know it is happening? If it is just information, what can I do about it?  When I check the app, I do not see this MAC address on any device.

Tagged:

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 760Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    norse2 said:
    Every day I am getting an email message with a consistent MAC address listed for "Wi-Fi Security Alert   New or Rogue Access Point detected."
    Is the fingbox protecting my network or just letting me know it is happening? If it is just information, what can I do about it?  When I check the app, I do not see this MAC address on any device.

I'd say that it's doing both.
    The questions that I have for you are:
    * Have you blocked the device by MAC address?
    * Have you investigated the 'rogue AP' at all?
    Are you in an area where there are a lot of wireless connections, like an apartment complex or something similar?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Gidster
  • MarcMarc Posts: 723Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    norse2 said:

I'd say that it's doing both.
    The questions that I have for you are:
    * Have you blocked the device by MAC address?
    * Have you investigated the 'rogue AP' at all?
    Are you in an area where there are a lot of wireless connections, like an apartment complex or something similar?
    If this turns out to be, as @kltaylor suggests after you investigate this, a bit of a neighbor congestion issue, you can exclude the MAC address from the fing app. This should stop it from reporting.  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylorGidster
  • zrostcpizrostcpi Posts: 1Member
    Photogenic First Comment
    How do I exclude such MAC addresses from the Fing app? Once I get the alert, the only option I see is to trust the device.  There is no option to block or exclude or anything else.
  • RobinRobin Posts: 770Administrator
    50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @zrostcpi
    If you don't trust the device, then the Fing App will automatically block the device. I would like to tell you that sometimes, it can be a false alarm as well. To make sure, Once Fingbox identifies a Rogue Access Point you should take immediate action: 
    • Turn off your WiFi network equipment for 15 minutes and wait. Make sure to turn off or disable WiFi from all client devices (like e.g. mobile phones, laptops, etc). Then restart networking and see if the Rogue Access Point still appears. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!