EE - Bottom 10%

limurlimur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Name Dropper
✭✭

I have EE Fibre, phone and TV package. The Fibre is quoted as 30 down and 20 up, which Fing measures as 29.7 downs and 19.7 up. and 99.7% uptime (and much of the downtime is due to a TP-link plug), and says bottom 10%.

I'm quite happy with this.

The question is, should I be, and why does Fing say bottom 10%?

...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...
Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Having long long since left the shores of dear ole' blighty, I'm now far removed as to what constitutes a decent broadband service in the UK. That said, https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/fastest-broadband-uk.html would indicate that 30MB download isn't exactly what one might call blisteringly fast these days.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    limur
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @limur for this question. Here's more details on how your ISP score is calculated.
    The Fing analytics provide ISP scoreboards by automatically ranking Fing and Fingbox speed and quality measurements.
    To compute speed scores, we consider all providers with more than one source for the period. For each provider we compute min, max, average and standard deviation metrics, in order to use them in a Z-score algorithm, which assumes a population following normal distribution.
    Country and city populations of providers are then aggregated, with each provider weighted by the contribution of different test sources.
    We then determine the score of each provider and of your network as the estimated percentiles combined for download and upload, where download makes 80% and upload the remaining 20%, in order to place the most attention to download speeds. 
    Let me know if that clears things up a bit! If needing any more details, just let me know.

Community Manager at Fing

limur
  • limurlimur Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    ✭✭
    Thanks @VioletChepil
    VioletChepil
  • keithkeith Member, Beta Tester Posts: 64
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper First Answer
    ✭✭✭

If that performance is 24-7 it is pretty well perfect, exactly what you paid for. So nice.

You might like to live in NZ, I believe speeds and data are now unrestricted for all users.

No plans! Hard to believe if true.

limur
    ✭✭

If I discount the TP-link caused outages, which occur early mornings pretty much each day, then it's very near 24/7 uptime.

I'm going to move my FingBox so that it's not affected by the TP-link in September and then I'll get better data.

✭✭
    I've moved my FingBox v2 so that's it plugged directly into the router and now we are stable;

Gidster