Best tips for using the Fing App

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Fing App
We've got the getting started guide on Fing App, but I'm wondering if our members can share their best tips for using the Fing App. 
You can share any tips that help make using the Fing App better, easier, faster etc.
Let me know in the comments below.

Community Manager at Fing

VioletChepil

Comments

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing my best to think of something unique to add to an already user-friendly and self-explanatory application.  The only thing that immediately comes to mind is 'don't use the information for nefarious purposes'.
    The app can provide you with a lot of information of a private or public wireless network.  Don't abuse the information that's provided, use it for educational purposes.
    I'll try to think of something better as soon as I can.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Hronos
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil I think we can point out than the Alert functionality is useful to "know" when "people" (devices) comes and goes from the network (home).  The article only notate "new devices".
    For me, as I already point out in another discussion, this is the best way to know when the rest of my family is at home or not :D.
    That's a VERY useful functionality!
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Hronos for sharing that one and yes I can add that to the article too. I'm also imagining this can be a working list we all add to as well! 

Hronos
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:
    @VioletChepil I think we can point out than the Alert functionality is useful to "know" when "people" (devices) comes and goes from the network (home).  The article only notate "new devices".
    For me, as I already point out in another discussion, this is the best way to know when the rest of my family is at home or not :D.
    That's a VERY useful functionality!
    Actually, I second that request.  Maybe an area where you can select which devices send a notice of connection so that we can designate the mobile devices to have a dynamic alert associated with it, and desktops remain static.
    VioletChepilHronos
    ✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor you mean a change in the App layout or a new section in the article? (both will be interesting)
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:
    @kltaylor you mean a change in the App layout or a new section in the article? (both will be interesting)
    I was thinking of an option for each device, after you confirm that you 'recognize' it and provide a friendly name, maybe something as simple as a checkbox for 'dynamic notifications'.  The option would not remove the device from the 'known good' list but would send a push notification when it leaves the network or arrives (geofence).
    Not sure how hard that would be to program in, but its usefulness would be ideal.
    VioletChepilIITS
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I occasionally use Fings port scanning capabilities to access a devices web server for management or configuration.  Its also a nice way to determine if web functionality even exists.  I wish it was not buried under more and was top level but I suppose that because its not used by many people?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    TheCustomCaveVioletChepilHronosStratt3000
  • CalebjoshuaCalebjoshua Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

I use my fing app to check the wifi configuration

Especially I found the DNS server and the Gateway

These IP values I used for configuring the Smart tv vía ethernet cable . I could manually configure the Tv, it supposed to autoconfigure by itself but I has to use the manual configuration menu. Thanks to Fing

VioletChepil
  • AldereteAlderete Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I use Fing's monitoring features to keep track of "interesting" devices.
    • Critical "infrastructure" devices, like my Wi-Fi access points, are always monitored, and send me alerts if something goes down.
    • "Suspicious" devices, like my new TV, get monitored for a few months to see if they are waking up to phone home, or otherwise doing unexpected things.
    It's not perfect, I can't capture traffic or even monitor destination IP addresses with Fing. (Not really a feature request, but if you're listening... ;-) But it's a pretty simple way to check out devices that could be telling a story about you. If the TV's not on the network, it's not returning tracking information. (It probably saves that up until I'm actually watching TV, but still...)

VioletChepilMariusvamStratt3000
  • allenallen Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Where I live there are several other LANs close enough to easily access my own LAN. I use Fing to keep track of those specific routers and devices. I think this could be made somewhat easier to do. I occasionally get notifications that "unknown" has come within range, but it's not clear what that means -- is "unknown" trying to access my LAN? And which device is the message referring to? There is no device listed in the app's report that is called "unknown". It would be more helpful if an unknown were identified in SOME way, with a temporary arbitrary ID (e.g., Unknown01), or by its IP address, or its router, or its MAC address, if that's accessible. But at least it should correspond to something that is listed, so I can examine it further.

VioletChepilAngMariusvam
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In range means just that, a device has entered close enough for the Fingbox to pick up on it. If that device is a newer iOS device or Google smartphone, then it'll probably employ MAC address randomization so the Fingbix may not be able to identify what sort of device it is.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • Parker36Parker36 Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I like using the fing app with IFTTT and I have assigned phone ip addresses to family members which helps out with my Mom who babysits for us every day of the week.  I can be alerted when she is there and let her know if anything needs to be done that day instead of trying to text her at 6 am when I am leaving.  
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    I was thinking of an option for each device, after you confirm that you 'recognize' it and provide a friendly name, maybe something as simple as a checkbox for 'dynamic notifications'.  The option would not remove the device from the 'known good' list but would send a push notification when it leaves the network or arrives (geofence).
    Not sure how hard that would be to program in, but its usefulness would be ideal.
    Hi @kltaylor!  I believe there is such an option for "users" (persons), you assign a device to be "Presence" and activate the notification for that user, when the device leaves the network it push you a notification saying "User's leave" (or arrive).  I don't know if that's what you mean.
    Keep looking up!
    kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hronos said:
    kltaylor said:
    Hi @kltaylor!  I believe there is such an option for "users" (persons), you assign a device to be "Presence" and activate the notification for that user, when the device leaves the network it push you a notification saying "User's leave" (or arrive).  I don't know if that's what you mean.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me!  I'm still waiting to purchase my Fingbox, have only used the application and have extensive experience with Domotz Pro.
    The more that I dig deeper into Fingbox though, the more I want to switch to that for my home network, and use Domotz Pro for the business.
    HronosVioletChepil
  • Stratt3000Stratt3000 NB, CanadaMember Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Alderete said:
    I use Fing's monitoring features to keep track of "interesting" devices.
    • Critical "infrastructure" devices, like my Wi-Fi access points, are always monitored, and send me alerts if something goes down.
    • "Suspicious" devices, like my new TV, get monitored for a few months to see if they are waking up to phone home, or otherwise doing unexpected things.
    It's not perfect, I can't capture traffic or even monitor destination IP addresses with Fing. (Not really a feature request, but if you're listening... ;-) But it's a pretty simple way to check out devices that could be telling a story about you. If the TV's not on the network, it's not returning tracking information. (It probably saves that up until I'm actually watching TV, but still...)

Hi @Alderete - Do you have any experience in working with API's?  Fing's coolness might be able to be packaged with another of your fav tools to get you what you're looking for perhaps..?  Reach out if you ever want to extrapolate/collaborate on a solution for you.  Also if you're a Linux user (even a tiny bit).  I'd be happy to help you customize something.  This type of tracrting/monitoring/pcap'ing happens to be a forté of mine and something I too am very interested in further education through peers ;-)

Rev. Stratton Phillips | FOSN, D. Div. (h.c.) | InfoTech @ Cloud5

• Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    I am puzzled when fing (used in conjunction w/fingbox) tells me a device has multiple IP addresses. It doesn't tell me why or whether this is a problem (though it smells like a problem). Sometimes I'm alerted that a device is "trying to join" the LAN and assigns an IP address of 0.0.0.0; this seems useless information, as I don't know what to do with it, even if I recognize the device and know it's an ok device. I don't seem able to force the LAN to allow the device in.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Long_John_Sliver -please check out this thread. This is usually your WiFi extender causing this:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/380/fingapp-box-show-0-0-0-0-for-some-devices 
    I believe the reason for 0.0.0.0 is due to repeater creating a separate gateway than main access point where the Fingbox is connected. In Range refers to multiple features on Fingbox, It can be for your own device which is under different network or the device which are not under your network(different network) but nearby (Digital Fence). Online refers to the device is under the same network and is connected. In your case, In Range is referred to the device is in the complete signal range of the network. 
    To solve this, you need to add your repeater as an access point and then Fingbox will be able to monitor that access point as well.
    With Mesh System, almost all the features of the Fingbox will work except for Bandwidth Analysis, Internet Speed Test and Vulnerability test for open ports. Fingbox is compatible with both a single node Mesh Wi-Fi network. It also works with two Wi-Fi mesh networks. With three or more than three Wifi Network, there might be some errors in using the above-mentioned features.

• Long_John_SliverLong_John_Sliver Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    Thank you, Violet, I have studied that other thread and commented there.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem and welcome here @Long_John_Sliver

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing @MaggieL
    In range is the WiFi antenna proximity to the Fingbox within 15m. However you can also adjust this to get only devices really close in the Digital Fence. You can hone in on this too - to find out what devices are closest. Let me know if this needs any clarification - we can also start up another thread on this topic if more information is required too! Cheers

• MaggieLMaggieL Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    No, I didn't mean the RF range had expanded. I meant the *meaning* of "in range" had expanded to include devices with no WiFi radios at all. 
    My Win 10 desktop has no WiFi at all, and yet I'm getting "in range" notifications for it.  

Developer of management software for proprietary industrial mesh networking equipment
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @MaggieLDo you have multiple access points? In range will show for devices which are on different access points of same network. If device1 is connected to A network and Fingbox is activated on B network, the Fingbox will show device1 as In Range. Let me know if that could be causing this.