SKY Router and ipv6

tframetframe Member Posts: 9
First Comment Photogenic
Hi - I would be surprised if this has not been spoken about, but this ipv6 thing is driving me nuts. I have a Sky account and router, installed the Fing Box, can see everything, users etc.... but it just wont pause devices. The advice from Fing was to disable ipv6 on the router, did this (see attached) but the only difference i found was that my ESET security software started having a flap.

am I missing something completely???
Tagged:

Answers

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Not seeing anything here that would indicate you disabled IPv6 - all these screens show is that the firewall (not the same thing at all) is disabled, however it would seem right now that your router is still serving out IPv6 addresses.

If you have a Windows based PC, what do you see if you run the
    ipconfig /all
    command in the command window? If it shows a listing for an IPv6 address for whatever network connection you're using, then your router is still serving out IPv6 addresses.

Do you know the exact model of the router in question? Might help others here point you to what you need to change if it is still set.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • tframetframe Member Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    thanks - I will answer this when I get home. What I did not expect when I purchased the box what that I needed an IT degree to get things going ;-( 
    First Comment Photogenic
    so, this in from SKY - 
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tframe - I'll be honest with you here and say not to believe a single word that Sky tells you here. Not that they may be wrong, but that I've lost track how many times a first level rep has given me total BS. Heck, just last week a first level rep on Apple Chat\Goldman Sachs, had the temerity to tell me that the new Apple Credit Card wasn't compatible with the Apple Watch, just because I had issues getting it initially loaded on to watch (yes it is fully compatible, as the second level rep told me).

My local TelCo still insist on calling the router a 'modem', despite the fact I have a totally separate device that IS a modem,!
    First Comment Photogenic
    so, between a company that says it works and a company that is clueless - where does that leave me?
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tframe giving us all the details of the router (model # etc.) so we can help you where Sky can't\won't.
    tframe
    First Comment Photogenic
    thanks - just home - the model is SR102
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this from here: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/IPV6-connection-issue/td-p/2800059

It could still be a IPv6 issue, If you want to try disabling it LAN side on the router, log into the router (192.168.0.1 in the address bar of a web browser, select "advanced", log in with admin and sky), select LAN/IP setup, scroll down the page and untick Enable IPv6 on LAN side and "apply". If you have a NAT issue, after this selecting the UPnP tab and ticking turn UPnP on and "apply" may help. Both these settings can be reversed if they solve your issues (it will either work or not). Hope this helps.

If you follow this, do you have a box labelled "Enable IPv6" checked?

• daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Are you running a Sky Q system? One way in which these work is to create its own IPv6 mesh network. However I was an early adopter and it was so unreliable that I hard cabled all of mine. I believe it is better now though. 

Interestingly, Sky now have the Sky Buddy app that allows you to control your kids internet time on their devices. Not really played with it though.
    First Comment Photogenic
    sorry, was on Holiday. Just to clear something up... Is this ISP specific or can i perhaps just try setting up another router?
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This shouldn't be ISP specific. Are you able to connect another router? Please correct me if I'm wrong @Pooh - but you could get another router that enables disabling of IPv6. 

Community Manager at Fing

✭✭✭✭✭
    This shouldn't be ISP specific. Are you able to connect another router? Please correct me if I'm wrong @Pooh - but you could get another router that enables disabling of IPv6. 
    It may be that he can disable it on his current router - still waiting to hear back if was able to do that. 

The only ISP specific issue might be if an ISP forces the users to use their brand router that either a) the user has no control over or b) doesn't support IPv4 mode.

Even if the ISP forces a router on the consumer, it might be possible to put it in "access point" mode and connect as second router behind it. Whilst it's possible to down inline router configuration I'd not personally recommend it as that would lead to double NATting that may create further problems.

This all said, I'd still like to know from @tframe if he was able to find the setting I asked about earlier...
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @tframe just turned this into a QUESTION thread. So you can report back to us and mark a BEST ANSWER if you've resolved things. That way the community will know if they can find a resolution here too :) Cheers

First Comment Photogenic
    sorry, been away for a while - still nobody helping and I have missed the return window on Amazon ;-( 
    VioletChepil
  • daved2424daved2424 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited September 2019

I think you will find that Pooh replied to you and it was you who did not respond. Maybe try responding to the points he has raised first before complaining about the lack of response from the community?

VioletChepilPooh
    First Comment Photogenic
    sorry, been away for a while - this is way to much hard work, I have tried to return it via Amazon but missed the return window. I wonder if Fing will refund me??
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @tframe yes definitely - I don't see any reason you would not be refunded if you returned. Likely this is following the standard Amazon refund process etc. could take a few days.

Sorry it did not work out. Would you consider getting another router? You could also ask the community for router suggestions here: 
    https://community.fing.com/categories/devices

✭✭✭✭✭

@tframe we here in the community would like to continue to help you here. As @daved2424 correctly stated, I myself was waiting for a response from you after my post I added August 19th - the same day you raised your question (with a follow-up September 2nd).

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh and everyone who has helped on this thread! 
    @tframe let us know if any issue with Amazon and I'm happy to raise a ticket for you or help any further!