re: how are ISP outages determined by Fing?

tjctjc Member Posts: 6
Photogenic First Comment
Question: when Fingbox detects a 'critical' internet outage, how exactly is it determined? Is it from a number of area Fingboxes going offline simultaneously and reporting back to Fing? I ask because a couple times there have been outages when I was asleep or not around to observe my cable modem; I get the notifications from Fing on my mobile device. Yet when I call my ISP, they have said a few times "there have been no outages in your area at the time you reported". And the most recent one from last night was several hours. I can't believe they wouldn't notice this. So either they are lying, or genuinely do not believe there's been an outage based on their own diagnostics. ??
Thanks Fing-ers. : )

VioletChepil

Comments

• waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Good question.  I would also like to de-emphasize outages that occur between midnight and 5 am.  I occasionally get outages at this time and I am pretty sure that this is when my ISP (Rogers Cable) is doing maintenance work on the network.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure, one of the information source are the users (FingApp and Fingbox), like Waze with traffic or accidents on the road, but @VioletChepil, @Robin or @Carlo_from_Fing have that answer =D
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    tjc said:
    Question: when Fingbox detects a 'critical' internet outage, how exactly is it determined? Is it from a number of area Fingboxes going offline simultaneously and reporting back to Fing? I ask because a couple times there have been outages when I was asleep or not around to observe my cable modem; I get the notifications from Fing on my mobile device. Yet when I call my ISP, they have said a few times "there have been no outages in your area at the time you reported". And the most recent one from last night was several hours. I can't believe they wouldn't notice this. So either they are lying, or genuinely do not believe there's been an outage based on their own diagnostics. ??
    Thanks Fing-ers. : )

Just going to reach out onto this topic, even though I do not work for Fing directly in any capacity.
    I believe that information is collected by Fing HQ and when an outage happens, there is a process that triggers.  Usually, a process like that would gather any other device on the same network and PING them to determine connectivity.  After a preset amount of time, it would flag it as being inactive, or 'down'.
    In this method, there is a checksum that calculates whether or not the device was powered off and therefore not connecting to the internet provider, or if there really is an issue and then 'flags' it as being 'offline'.
    This is just my experience with similar products, but an official response would be awesome.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,745
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @tjc
    Please visit this link and this should answer your queries: https://app.fing.com/internet/help/what-s-an-outage

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    tjckltaylorVioletChepil
  • tjctjc Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks! That's super handy. So that being the case, I wonder how bad an 'outage' has to be before my ISP considers a thing an outage. (Not that I expect Fing to know this, just curious. Probably different for every ISP).
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe @Carlo_from_Fing has some insight to add on that one :smile:

Community Manager at Fing

• Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Every ISP have a dedicated divisionof Service Assurance that works 24/7 to monitor the system and make sure to fix problems as soon as possible. Usually there is team is usually called NOC team; a nice definition:

A network operations center, or NOC (pronounced “knock”), is a centralized location where IT technicians directly support the efforts of remote monitoring and management (RMM) software. NOC teams are heavily utilized in the managed IT services space, and a tremendous driver of service delivery for many managed services providers (MSPs).

These technical teams keep a watchful eye over the endpoints that they monitor and manage, independently resolving issues are they arise and taking preventative steps to ensure many issues do not occur. NOC teams are also heavily involved in high-level security actions and backup and disaster recovery (BDR) efforts, ensuring 24x7x365 uptime for an MSP’s customers.

As you correctly supposed, @tjc, the 'how bad' to consider outage depends on the ISP, and also has much different thresholds among business lines and consumer ones.

Carlo from Fing

tjcHronos