How often does Fingbox scan the network for device changes?

jekjek Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
edited September 2019 in Fingbox

What is the usual frequency of scans of a fingbox? I was under the impression that some time ago the frequency was quite high so that new devices or changes were identified quickly. However, my friend fingbox now does a scan only every 1-2 hours. Such a low frequency is not very helpful, in particular for the occupancy function.

Is there a way to increase the frequency of scans?

Best Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jek and welcome. The frequency of the scan is every 5-20 minutes based on the network size set on Fing App and any changes in state of devices. What network size do you have? / 16 or / 24?

Community Manager at Fing

Hronoskltaylor
  • jekjek Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    My network was configured as /16. As soon as I switched it to /24, the fingbox reacted much, much qicker!
    Thank you!
    kltaylor

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great @jek glad that changing to the /24 solved things. As the /16 can create checking of thousands of IPs on the range! 
    I'm just slightly modifying the title of this one and also changing to a question. If you could please choose an answer! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • Amc65Amc65 Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

My Fingbox often shows that it has not been updated for many hours - currently it is 12 - when looking at the device list. Does this mean that it is not scanning very often or that nothing has changed?

Thanks

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Amc65 said:

My Fingbox often shows that it has not been updated for many hours - currently it is 12 - when looking at the device list. Does this mean that it is not scanning very often or that nothing has changed?

Thanks

The frequency of the scan is every 5-20 minutes based on the network size set on Fing App and any changes in state of devices. What network size do you have? / 16 or / 24? Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!