MAC Address Proxy (Remotes)

nthnth Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

Took me while to figure out that a device on my network was a remote control.

I only allow specific MAC addresses on my network, so when an unidentified device kept showing up, I wasn’t sure what was going on.

Turns out, the Roku remote had it’s own MAC address and it was getting on the network through the Roku. Don’t know if that relationship can really be called a “Proxy”, but that’s what it makes me think of.

Anyway, it would be great if Fing had a way of identifying devices that have been added to the network by a parent device. Maybe that’s something Fing already does and I just lack the vocabulary to look it up; if so, maybe the app could be a little more helpful in drawing a link between dependent devices?

KING_CRACKER78VioletChepil

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your question @nth. I think the is best to mark down as a feature request and so I'm moving this over to Fing App feature requests category here: https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests
    If I understood correctly, I think this may be similar to this feature request here about merging multiple MAC addresses: https://community.fing.com/discussion/132/merge-multiple-mac-addresses-to-one-device
    I guess it is slightly different though and I'm wondering also about the classification of this feature. Requesting more details internally too! 
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... this is an odd one. I assume that only devices with a direct connection to the network - either wifi or ethernet - will show up in app. And I assume a Roku remote will connect to the device it's controlling, by infra-red or proprietary wireless, and not directly to the LAN. I have a Roku Stick and only that shows up, not its remote.
    Any ideas @Carlo_from_Fing?
    Head of Product at Fing
  • Carlo_from_FingCarlo_from_Fing Rome, ItalyAdministrator, Fing Team Posts: 247
    100 Likes 100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment Fingbox is not able to recognise such condition.
    We can check if it's possible to detect relationship: we'd need to see MAC addresses of both devices, parent and remote, to check if they share a prefix or such. And also to see if the remote is actually taking a valid IP address in network.
    You could provide screenshot of device detail page for both devices.

Carlo from Fing

• nthnth Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited September 2019

When last I configured the network, I added the remote’s MAC address to permitted devices, however the MAC address never populates on the Fing app. Even when the remote’s MAC address is NOT allowed on my network (by omission), the remote will still show up, but again, with no MAC address showing on FingApp.

The additional images show when they appeared on the network simultaneously (I named the remote) and what the two devices look like on Fing now. Additionally, today the remote took on a new IP, overriding the previous one I had named (which is now grayed-out).

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Carlo_from_Fing let us know any follow-up you've got since the screenshot! 

✭✭✭
    Unfortunately fing app screenshot are from iOS device with no MAC address available, thus it's not possible to understand full details.
    Please let us know the specific model name of your Roku devices and we'll get for in lab testing, interesting behaviour.

Carlo from Fing

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @nth please let @Carlo_from_Fing know the follow-up details! 
    Cheers

First Comment Photogenic
    The device is a Roku Streaming Stick, Model #3600R (Refurbished), Quad-Core HD Player, Dual-Band Wi-Fi.
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. And the remote is the one that comes with the package, right?

Carlo from Fing

VioletChepil
    First Comment Photogenic

Yes, Roku remote issued with the device, from the same package.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us know any follow-up @Carlo_from_Fing