Google Calendar Phishing

kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 4 in Devices & Security
Has anyone recently received calendar invites that you didn't add to your calendar?
Did you just receive a calendar notification stating that you won an item or some money?
I did not too long ago, please read the article from Wired and make adjustments to your Google calendar.  Please remember if the offer seems too good to be true, it usually is.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
HronosVioletChepilStratt3000

Comments

• BurrathaBurratha Member, Beta Tester Posts: 12 ✭✭
    These have just begun to appear in my calendar, too. Google is usually pretty decent at SPAM filtering - just hope they catch up with this kind of unwanted crud.
    VioletChepilkltaylor
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Thanks for reporting @kltaylor. I get so much phishing attempts and they are increasingly getting more clever. I've not experienced this one yet! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • GroutyGrouty Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Haven't seen this yet but thanks for the warning. I'll be on the lookout. 
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • pwmeekpwmeek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    @kltaylor Thanks for this. I've made the changes in my Google Calendar settings suggested in the Wired article.
    --Pete
    Bon Vivant and Raconteur
    kltaylorVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pwmeek said:
    @kltaylor Thanks for this. I've made the changes in my Google Calendar settings suggested in the Wired article.
    It's the new form of phishing, since without that modification to the settings literally, anyone can sign you up for a calendar event with only your email name being known to them.
    I had an event stating that I won an iPhone ... I'm an Android guy ... so there's that. =)
    HronosVioletChepil
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
     kltaylor said:
    Has anyone recently received calendar invites that you didn't add to your calendar?
    Not yet. Thank you for heads up.
    Davide
    kltaylorVioletChepil
    MDavide said:
     kltaylor said:
    Not yet. Thank you for heads up.
    My pleasure, glad I could help spread the word and help keep people safe from online predators.
    VioletChepil
    Here's an official response from Google regarding this issue.
    VioletChepil
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

This morning I received my first phishing attempt promising Netflix , one year subscription for free :-)

Davide
    kltaylorVioletChepil
    MDavide said:

This morning I received my first phishing attempt promising Netflix , one year subscription for free :-)

Now that would be a nice gift.
    Has anyone else received a message like this and if so what was it regarding?  What was your 'free reward' that they offered?
    VioletChepilMDavide
  • Stratt3000Stratt3000 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭
    Sheesh!  Crafty buggers >:)  As we move forward with tech, these attacks get much more innocuous in appearance.  Great share @kltaylor
    Attacks are increasingly far more methodical and targeted.. examples of what we all know as spear-phishing.  Gone are the days when black-hats would use the mass spam tactic, hoping to catch a few in the huge spam blast as it has become far more profitable to spend time on individual targets. 
    Stratton Phillips  |  IT & Recording Systems Admin
    Cloud5 Communications 
    [email protected]om 
    kltaylor
    Sheesh!  Crafty buggers >:)  As we move forward with tech, these attacks get much more innocuous in appearance.  Great share @kltaylor
    Attacks are increasingly far more methodical and targeted.. examples of what we all know as spear-phishing.  Gone are the days when black-hats would use the mass spam tactic, hoping to catch a few in the huge spam blast as it has become far more profitable to spend time on individual targets. 
    No problem at all, just trying to keep the community aware of things as they come up!