BT - the UK's biggest ISP - manages an average of 40mbps

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in BT

As of 11th July 2019 the Fing ISP scoreboard placed BT Broadband 5th place in the UK in terms of speed but 10th place in terms of ratings provided by our app users. 

With an average download speed of 40.8mbps and 11.9mbps upload speed, it has achieved a Fing speed rating of 2.4 out of 5. On average, Fing app users have rated it 3.1 out of 5 stars, with around 49% of users giving it a 4 or 5 star rating but 23% just 1 star. This rating puts BT in the top 35% in the UK.

Between 4th April and July 11th July 2019, the Fing Outage Detector registered just 1 outage for BT Broadband, although it was a big one impacting the entire country.

Are you or have you been a BT Broadband user? Is it better or worse where you live? Are they suffering due to their greater coverage of the UK, including many non urban areas with poor connectivity? 
Head of Product at Fing

Comments

• JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I am with BT as it's the only option real where I live. Only copper wire from FTC... It's ok and normally about 38mbps... Would like faster but will just need to wait until FTTH but this is currently not even planned in my area. 
    VioletChepil
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have to change my netgear router due to slowing down broadband, if I use the netgear, it drops o between 38 and 50 mbps, if I use a different one (mikrotik) I get 69-70mbps
    VioletChepil
  • D00BD00B Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'm with BT as this is my only real option, being on an exchange which isnt LLU enabled leaves me paying more and having less choice. Currently living in a rural area with a speed of 11Mbps down and 500Kbps up. Speed isnt my biggest issue with BT / Openreach, its the reliability of the network, forever having issues on our antiquated line.
    VioletChepil
  • PixelpopperPixelpopper Moderator Posts: 130
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    I am with BT and speeds generally 52/19 and I haven’t experienced any outages for a long time, that’s not to say that there haven’t been issues with modem/routers (non-BT). LLU is available on all exchanges but Service Providers aren’t prepared to invest in smaller exchanges as it isn’t economical, hence the only choice is BT who are obliged to offer service by the regulator. Ultimately 5G mobile networks may be the answer for the more remote areas where economics are the main issue preventing provision of high speed connections.
    VioletChepil
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lot of those who are unhappy maybe because they are rural and stuck with BT without choice or competition. 
    BT seems like it's generally reliable but we did spot a significant outage yesterday which ran for a long time:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/578/resolved-bt-outage-in-england-on-09-september-2019-05-20#latest
    Head of Product at Fing
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭

Yea @Gidster that’s exactly the issue for me and to be honest swapping to another (over copper cable) solution won’t make much if any difference in that respect as the speed is limited by the technology not the provider.

Where I live is too rural to be even considered for Virgin etc at this stage.

There is also no mobile phone signal (without Ethernet powered boosters like we have) so any 3G/4G options are also not an option until more local masts are added.

I have still been considering leaving BT for a while as a fixed IP is not an option (unless you swap to an expensive Business line). Others like Zen give you a free fixed IP and others charge a small fee to setup or monthly.

On the whole a dynamic IP isn’t too much of an issue but for security I would like to lockdown access to a single IP for some things and I can’t do it via a DDNS or CNAME record in Windows Firewall so I have to keep manually updating it for some things.

VioletChepil
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    @Jack you sound VERY remote. Maybe move? ;-)
    Head of Product at Fing
    ✭✭✭

Nope, where I live is beautiful however the internet could be better :)

VioletChepil