OpenHAB or Home Assistant?

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
I'm looking to build my own Smart Home platform. I'm pretty tech confident and could probably set up a Raspberry Pi but I don't want to get a soldering iron out. I've got a range of kit inc a Ring doorbell, Echo, Hive thermostat, plugs and camera, Philips Hue. Some of the Hive kit is zigbee.
How straightforward is it to set up OpenHAB or Home Assistant? Plusses and minuses? Are there better options?
Head of Product at Fing
Xenophodparkertyler

Answers

• JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I setup Home Assistant a while back and while it was good as my devices are mainly apple based I have moved over to using Homebridge (this is much easier to setup with Homebridhe ) https://github.com/oznu/homebridge-config-ui-x#readme
    Gidster
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    @Jack We do have some Apple devices at home and I use a Macbook at work, but I'm a bit wary of Apple - I think they are a bit of a cult. Too many Apple zombies trained to buy the next iphone unquestioning 
    Head of Product at Fing
  • benhelpsbenhelps Member, Beta Tester Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭

I love my openHAB however after researching a few and trying it I haven't tried anything else (though I do couple it with MQTT for Arduino and general messaging, and node-red to get data from primitive devices, like my power meter)

XenophodVioletChepil
  • RomulusRomulus Member, Beta Tester Posts: 35
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I love my OpenHab setup too, I did try a couple of paid options (Trial periods) before I settled on OpenHab. What was attractive to me is the ability to be able to integrate most things (eventually) with a bit of work and not be stuck with proprietary devices in islands that won't work with each other. Whilst it generally represents a bit of work and some learning you gain a lot of useful knowledge in the process and once set up my system has been quite reliable.
    GidsterVioletChepil
  • JackJack Member Posts: 53
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    I setup Home Assistant a while back and while it was good as my devices are mainly apple based I have moved over to using Homebridge (this is much easier to setup and configure with Homebridge UI
  • go_robot_gogo_robot_go Member Posts: 9
    5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using Home Assistant for several years now, and though there's a pretty steep learning curve, it can be pretty powerful if you're willing to put the work into learning how it all works and configuring it the way you want it. I have it talking to pretty much every smart device in my home (and there are many, many of them). I don't have the experience with OpenHAB to draw a direct comparison, but Home Assistant is really the first home automation controller I have used (and I have used several) that makes it possible to actually automate things. I'm not just talking remote control, timers, or voice control, I'm talking automations that utilize some relatively advanced logic to make things happen automatically, without you having to really think about it. 
    And the truth is that it can be used on top of other home automation setups. I do use Apple's Homekit so that I can have Siri voice control, and Home Assistant integrates with Homekit in such a way that I can expose things in Home Assistant to HomeKit so that I can control them with Siri.
    GidstermikhaiVioletChepil