Using Fingbox with vlans

nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper

I’m once again tackling vlans on my network. Need to isolate and monitor IOT devices and traffic. Has anyone else done this? Could you share your experiences?

Tagged:
VioletChepil

Best Answer

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh just moving this one over to the Fingbox category.

Community Manager at Fing

• nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    @Pooh yes I will need to use one Fingbox per vlan I want to monitor. Each will need its own Domotz agent. I have other monitoring options as well (Firewalla, UniFi gateway and Turris Omnia) but they won't integrate with Domotz as far as I know. I am trying to concentrate network monitoring in one place (Domotz) to the extent possible. I've found, for example, that Firewalla has a useful feature to flag uploads - very helpful for IOT monitoring, but it also requires spoofing the gateway ip. So I use Firewalla for that purpose, but Fingbox for general network monitoring. Anyway, the concept of using vlans is simple enough. I have found getting to a working implementation challenging.
    PoohVioletChepil
  • nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    @pooh I love your tag line!!! B)
    PoohVioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @nexusnet thanks for your explanation! I believe Domotz is monitoring multi-VLANs as well. What is the set-up of these networks? And what are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps I can offer some more insight.

Community Manager at Fing