Anyone use a Nooie Pet Camera?

kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9 in Devices & Security
Yes, I have pets, but I am also looking at this as a means to monitor and interior of my home while away.  You can view the product here.
The website MakeUseOf had a decent write-up about it, so was wondering if this would be a product someone would purchase for a sub $50 IP camera.
"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
VioletChepil

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trouble I have with all these services is "can I trust you?" Data stored in the cloud these days has a huge risk of being accessible by others. It's one thing when it's things like task list, quite another when it's personal video footage.

If I'm going for a camera, then it's going to be something that's going in-house only.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepilkltaylorHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    Promoting this would be interesting to hear more! 
    Amazon reviews look pretty good and although they can get skewed by competitors writing them etc. over time they can be pretty reflective of genuine customer experience. I'd look at dates of them and see if they seem organic or like a big surge of reviews. 
    Of course this is my marketing analysis and it would be interesting to hear about real experiences with the product too! 

Community Manager at Fing

kltaylor
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    Trouble I have with all these services is "can I trust you?" Data stored in the cloud these days has a huge risk of being accessible by others. It's one thing when it's things like task list, quite another when it's personal video footage.

If I'm going for a camera, then it's going to be something that's going in-house only.
    That's a very good point.  The interest for cloud saving is on par with securing the video in the event some tampering happens while whomever enters your establishment.
    They offer an SD slot to write the videos to it, but again that could be tampered with as well.
    I used to have a camera connected to my Synology, being recorded 24/7, keeping the files for a week before overwriting them.  That may still be an option as well.
    VioletChepilGidsterHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,474 admin
    I'm still curious about this one, as I'm thinking also of getting some pet cameras to see what my two little cavaliers get up to whilst I'm out at work. 
    @kltaylor are you thinking of giving it a go? 

Community Manager at Fing

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    I reviewed the first iteration of the PetCube  a few years ago - loved the idea of using the remote control laser to play with the cat. But the laser was too flaky and the basic camera functions were pretty poor too. Also, the app seemed more focused on sharing than viewing your own cat.
    I expect the latest versions are much better and they have introduced a mechanism to fling treats - so better for dogs than cats.
    https://petcube.com/
    Apparently Emma Watson - of Harry Potter fame - says it's "life changing" 

But if the specific pet-functions are not key, I'd stick with 1 or 2 cheap Neo or Wyze cams placed where your pet spends time.
    Head of Product at Fing
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But ... I have a dog that chases reflections, we call them Faeries.