Blocking cell phones by MAC address.

So_Close
So_Close the NetherlandsMember Posts: 7
Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
Recently I've discovered that cell phones (GSM) often use a random MAC address. I assume that the Fingbox actually uses the MAC address even if a IP address has been used. 
How can I  block a device when it uses random MAC addresses and DHCP assigns different IP addresses as well? 
Anjo Slager
the Netherlands

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,052
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Answer ✓
    Fingbox, from what I've seen, has issues with devices that use randomized Mac addresses.  It treats the device as new once the address changes and its been recommended to disable this feature on devices that support it on your Fing monitored networks.  in most cases I believe its a network by network setting so you could turn it off for just your home network for instance yet leave it on for the local Starbucks network.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Karl_From_FingSo_Closedonvy

Answers

• So_Close
    So_Close the NetherlandsMember Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Marc, thanks for your fast answer. I agree what concerns how the Fingbox treats devices with a different MAC address. And honestly I think there is no other solution other than to block all new devices. According to me it's a device option to issue random MAC addresses and not the router. At least, not my Experia router.
    Regards, Anjo

Anjo Slager
    the Netherlands
    Marc