Differences between v1 and v2 Fingbox?

CPKokoskaCPKokoska Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
5 Likes First Answer Photogenic First Comment
 @violetchepil
Came here seeking answers to another question (which I've posted separately) but saw several references to Fingbox v1 versus v2. I am the proud owner of what I assume must be v1 since I sponsored it during the IndieGoGo campaign years ago. So my questions are:

(a) What does v2 have or do that is different from v1?
(b) If I want to buy v2, where do I get it and how much is it?
(c) Would I need separate accounts if I want to keep both v1 and v2 active?

I should probably mention that both devices would likely remain on my home networks under one public IP (my home network is probably larger than most, broken into two physically distinct subnets with over 200 unique devices on each. The current Fingbox is only attached to one subnet).

Best Answer

• CPKokoskaCPKokoska Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    Accepted Answer
    THANKS! That post seems to cover everything. Only remaining question is whether or not I can use two Fingboxes with one account/app (and if so, how it would appear). As you might imagine, I'm seeking simplicity....

Yes, the network size has gotten a bit out of hand, and as I posted in another question today, I'm trying to find ways to prevent further complication. Simply stated, my home is a bit larger than average and probably filled with more IoT devices than average. Three simple examples: I use LIFX bulbs to provide (color) lighting around the exterior of my property, and every bulb requires a unique IP. With several acres of landscaped area, I'm already using over 100 bulbs. There are more than 100 other WiFi only devices (ranging from Amazon Echo devices (nearly 40 of those alone) to Garage Door openers, home appliances, Thermostats, water valves, power monitors, etc...  All infrastructure is hardwired and where possible, so are client devices (ie; there are 16 TVs / streaming devices as well as 64 Hi Res IP cameras, which as you might imagine, generate immense traffic) but pretty much everything available as a "smart home" device is WiFI only. Managing suitable connectivity and network traffic within the home and around the property has been a challenge. I've been able to monitor everything with reasonable success so far because I've configured them all with static IPs. However, I'm nearing a point where that can't continue unless I spawn another subnet. Quite frankly, since most devices aren't on line at all times (ie; Bulbs are only powered at night, and rare than all 100+ are powered at once), I could solve some problems by switching such devices to a DHCP pool. However, that creates a problem for Fing (as described in the other question I posted today).

I realized how silly this all sounds as I was writing it... but I'm already too far down the rabbit hole to look back!

Thanks for your prompt response!
    Hronosnexusnet

Answers

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    CPKokoska said:
     @violetchepil
    Came here seeking answers to another question (which I've posted separately) but saw several references to Fingbox v1 versus v2. I am the proud owner of what I assume must be v1 since I sponsored it during the IndieGoGo campaign years ago. So my questions are:

(a) What does v2 have or do that is different from v1?
    (b) If I want to buy v2, where do I get it and how much is it?
    (c) Would I need separate accounts if I want to keep both v1 and v2 active?

I should probably mention that both devices would likely remain on my home networks under one public IP (my home network is probably larger than most, broken into two physically distinct subnets with over 200 unique devices on each. The current Fingbox is only attached to one subnet).
    In regards to home network structure ... you win! =)
    My home network is large but not THAT large. =)
    @pooh posted a link in another thread, take a look here and let me know if that answered your question.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    CPKokoska
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    @CPKokoska , I think the answer is You can.
    I believe each box will show on it's respective "network" than in your case is a subnet.
    Keep looking up!
  • fuzzysbfuzzysb Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    And there was me thinking mine was a very large installation for a residential house currently displaying 230 network devices in Fing.
    but i only have 14 Echo Devices (1 in each room) , with 40 your living in a veritable mansion.
    Ionly currently have 8 cameras which gives me full coverage outside and on the ground floor for security. but IOT devices i have very many, but predominately Zigbee (Currently 56 bulbs and 24 sensors) and ZWave (Total 86 Devices, mainly motion, contact and light switches)  and 14 Tado Heating devices. 
    I am however focusing on tightening security on IoT Devices and Guest networks, so would love Fingbox to support Dot1q vlan tagging. one per vlan just isn't feasible, but i am looking now for alternatives as i was using fingbox for tracking presence and when my kids were having parties when i wasn't there by notifying me that phones from his friends connected to the network. i am currently however choosing to keep Fingbox just for family presence on the trusted network, and i will most likely for the time being use the Unifi device tracking feature in HomeSeers Unify Plugin. its slower at showing connection and disconnection, but i don't suppose that matters and should still serve it purpose of letting me know when we have more cleaning up to do upon our return.
  • Manny_CavalierManny_Cavalier Member, Beta Tester Posts: 18
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'm quite disappointed when Fing released v2.  They should have at least provided discounts to its early supporters in Indiegogo as a simple sign of appreciation.
    VioletChepilMartinBtouriga
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Manny_Cavalier I'm sorry about this. We have such little margin on the product already so its very difficult for discounts etc. I'll keep everyone posted if anything coming out for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Historically we've run sales around this time but I'm not entirely sure the plan yet for this year. If anything does come up - existing Fingbox users will be the first to know about it. 

Community Manager at Fing

Manny_CavalierHronos
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @CPKokoska could you choose a BEST ANSWER if this has solved things for you?

Community Manager at Fing

• nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Is a comparison of v1 vs v2 specs / features available? I googled and did cursory searches on community and product pages. Found mentions of v2 but no explanation of differences thus far.
    VioletChepil
  • HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
  • nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 21
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Thanks @hronos!
    I also realized that @pooh had posted the link earlier in the thread. Missed it on my first read.
    VioletChepil
  • BoomerangThreeBoomerangThree Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to synchronize v1 information, such as “device name” to a v2 if I decide to upgrade?
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to synchronize v1 information, such as “device name” to a v2 if I decide to upgrade?
    if you have a new look V1-Fingbox, then as of now, there is no way to transfer the data from Fingbox V1 to V2. Only data related to Fing App will be able to view and transfer like all device customizations. All data related to Fingbox like Digital Fence and Presence and settings will be lost. The device customizations like name are saved with the Fing account and thus replacing the Fingbox will not have an effect on it.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!