Exclude

djcdjc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
Hi,

my app discovers some of the neighbor's devices such as their AP. There's an option to 'Exclude' in the app. What does this do? Just block it from joining my network if it tried? I can't see how Fing would be able to send deauth packets like some WiFi systems can but wanted to check first. :)

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @djc are you using the Fing App - or Fing App with Fingbox? 
    If you are using Fing App and click on Delete - it will remove from your Device list. 
    Exclude device on Fingbox - this would mean you don't see the device in your digitalfence. I believe you'd still see it if it does eventually to connect. This feature is mainly for reducing noise in digitalfence so you can hone in on what you may want to watch. 
    Question - do you have automatically block new devices ON? If so, this device would be blocked before it is allowed on to your network. 

Community Manager at Fing

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @djc (I'm on Support Team here)

This exclude filter allows you to remove a device from your search. If there is a neighbor’s TV that you have no interest in seeing, simply click on this device and then click Exclude Device. You can access your list of excluded devices and add them back to your search by clicking on the three lines icon in the top right-hand corner of the DigitalFence dashboard, clicking Excluded MAC Addresses and then clicking on the cross icon next to the device.
    Check this link for detailed information: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/
    Fing does not send any De-auth packets to any device to disconnect it but if any device is trying to use De-auth packets, Fingbox will be able to detect and alert you so that you can block that device. The way the Fingbox blocks device is through ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing.  So what is happening is that when you block a single device, the computer DHCP address and DNS entries gets changed and pointed to the Fingbox.  So this device is blocked from getting to the internet or internal resources. 

For more information on ARP poisoning and DNS Spoofing see the following links: 
    Blocking is done by DNS/Blocking Spoofing. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_blocking 

The Fingbox/App work to pause things by a process called ARP poisoning/Blocking. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • djcdjc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Hi Robin,

Thanks for the detailed and quick response!

So what is happening is that when you block a single device, the computer DHCP address and DNS entries gets changed and pointed to the Fingbox.  So this device is blocked from getting to the internet or internal resources. 

How can a client get a different DHCP and DNS entry if the Fingbox isn't my DHCP server? Does it temporarily act like one to provide the client false info?
  • djcdjc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
    Hi @djc are you using the Fing App - or Fing App with Fingbox? 
    If you are using Fing App and click on Delete - it will remove from your Device list. 
    Exclude device on Fingbox - this would mean you don't see the device in your digitalfence. I believe you'd still see it if it does eventually to connect. This feature is mainly for reducing noise in digitalfence so you can hone in on what you may want to watch. 
    Question - do you have automatically block new devices ON? If so, this device would be blocked before it is allowed on to your network. 
    Hi Violet,

I'm using the Fingbox v1. I do not have automatically block new devices on yet.
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin can you help us a bit more on this one?

Community Manager at Fing

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,760
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    djc said:
    Hi Robin,

Thanks for the detailed and quick response!

So what is happening is that when you block a single device, the computer DHCP address and DNS entries gets changed and pointed to the Fingbox.  So this device is blocked from getting to the internet or internal resources. 

How can a client get a different DHCP and DNS entry if the Fingbox isn't my DHCP server? Does it temporarily act like one to provide the client false info?

Our block feature makes the targeted device to believe our fingbox is the gateway of the network. In this way, the fingbox can receive the packet and discard it. Moreover, we make the target device to believe that its IP is owned by another device. All of these low-level techniques can be bypassed by a few seconds or minutes if the router put in place some anti-spoofing or similar techniques.

To explain: When the device will try to connect to the router, then the device will be able to make the connection until the Fingbox is checking the Blocklist if the device is in the list or not. Only after checking that list, the device will be able to maintain the connection or get blocked from the network. This verification of the list might take up to few minutes and then Fingbox is able to block that device.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!