802.11ax suggestions?

AngAng Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
5 Likes Founder Name Dropper First Comment
✭✭
edited September 2019 in Devices & Security
i am curious if anyone has first-hand experience with 802.11ax routers, from evaluation through to installation and implementation. There aren’t many choices yet, and I am stretching the usefulness of my Apple AirportExtreme as far into this year as I can - which has been easier since Apple has continued its support and firmware updates though the Extreme was discontinued (in 2018) and look forward to getting onto this standard soon. Thanks! :)
VioletChepilGidster

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just moved this one over to the Devices and Security category! 

Community Manager at Fing

Ang
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any help on this one @Andrea @tx_hermit @Pooh @kltaylor

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @GadgetVirtuoso @MDavide @Romulus I'll add you in too. Now also does this thread belong better in Devices/Security or Connectivity? Let me know :) 

• kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ang said:
    i am curious if anyone has first-hand experience with 802.11ax routers, from evaluation through to installation and implementation. There aren’t many choices yet, and I am stretching the usefulness of my Apple AirportExtreme as far into this year as I can - which has been easier since Apple has continued its support and firmware updates though the Extreme was discontinued (in 2018) and look forward to getting onto this standard soon. Thanks! :)
    Honestly, I have not, but in referencing this through Google, this may become my next router of choice.
    My home router is an ASUS brand, AC3100.
    That router already supports multiple AP's, which is how I set up my 'smart devices' that need access only to the internet.  The new wireless protocol is going to make a strong presence here soon.
    So with that said, I am a sys/net admin, did you have any particular setup questions or issues that you're encountering?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilHronos
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this, which will end up being the next router for my home.  Especially since it can support the ASUS Mesh network that's already active.
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be a next year thing for me, but this years budget is already spent with more drives for my NAS, new iPhone and iPad, potential new iMac - and copious pots of honey...
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    That may be a next year thing for me, but this years budget is already spent with more drives for my NAS, new iPhone and iPad, potential new iMac - and copious pots of honey...
    For sure!  My accountant (reads: my wife) said that we can purchase it at our next Income Tax landfall next year.
    ...but, but, but...
    Hronos
  • MDavideMDavide Member Posts: 51
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, no experience with ax routers.

Cheers.

Davide
  • GadgetVirtuosoGadgetVirtuoso Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    I do miss my Airport Extreme when it comes to Airplay and HomeKit devices. I upgraded to the Orbi routers and Netgear has released several updates that have caused issues with both Airplay and HomeKit. As for upgrading to 802.11AX I would hold off until you have enough devices to take advantage. The Samsung Galaxy 10 has it and more devices will be coming but its not widely available yet.
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,153
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As with any new protocols, be careful being an early adopter as it takes a few iterations till they become stable...  In many instances vendors release them early, usually with a "pre-" certification.  Stay away from that as well as they are not always upgradable to the full spec version.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Hronos