Is there a way to assign a static IP for my FingBox using the Fing app/device settings?

Zinn
Zinn Member Posts: 2
Name Dropper First Comment
The title says it all. I'm trying to assign a static IP address to my newly purchased FingBox. For reasons I won't go into here, it is no viable for me to set a static IP address via my router, so I'm wondering if there's a way to do it from the device itself or within the Fing app. 

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,158
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Zinn
    Unfortunately, this feature is not yet implemented. You have set the static IP address for Fingbox under router settings only.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MikeT
    MikeT Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Not being able to assign a static IP Address to the Fingbox directly is nothing but poor design.

The issue with setting the static IP address via DHCPD using the Mac Address as ID is that the Mac address of the Fingbox changes with software updates.

I logged on to my network this morning to find the Fingbox had changed IP Address overnight, digging into it further I found the Mac address had changed and so my static assignment via DHCPD using Mac Address as ID was no longer valid.

Since the Fingbox runs Ubuntu Linux there really is no excuse for not having the ability to assign a static IP Address on the device directly, this is just poor/lazy design/coding and really should be resolved as a matter of urgency.

The last thing anyone wants when trying to manage a LAN is to have devices moving around the subnet in such a fashion, especially the devices that are supposed to be monitoring the Lan for security etc.

Come on Fing, get your act together!

Zinn
  • Zinn
    Zinn Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment
    @MikeT Agreed. I actually ended up returning the device altogether because of this specific issue. Also, I hated that there was no web interface. 
    MikeT
  • MikeT
    MikeT Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 30, 2021 #5
    Zinn said:
    @MikeT Agreed. I actually ended up returning the device altogether because of this specific issue. Also, I hated that there was no web interface. 
    I'd be happy if they enabled SSH access, I could at least set a static IP Address then.

I downloaded the desktop app today to see if that improved things, very disappointing, noddy little app that doesn't even sync the settings that are already in place 🤷‍♂️

I'm now looking at starting my own project to build my own Fingbox type system using a virtual machine, most of what is required is readily available in the Opensource world. I could at least then have a static IP Address and probably better functionality and overall control.

It wouldn't be too hard to create a web interface either ...

UPDATE: This forum is pretty terrible too, when I type I have to wait for the characters to appear! This forum is very 1980's, such a shame as there are some great forum packages out there that are so much better than this. Even the Facebook group was better than this!