Assign devices to a ROOM in Fingapp / Fingbox

JohnJohn Member Posts: 110
25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
✭✭✭
So have the ability to put the location of a device on the fing app, but this is just a unique word(s) aligned to a device.  I would love to be able to assign a device to a pre-created room, much in the same way you do with Hue, smart things and tbh most other smart device apps.

In doing so you can then filter by room and group by room.  It also would prevent mistakes like putting one device in the lounge and another in the living room.
Tagged:
HronosMarc
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not create a user as a room, e.g.

Not 100% perfect, but that's what I did...

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 110
    ✭✭✭
    Pooh said:

Why not create a user as a room, e.g.

Not 100% perfect, but that's what I did...
    That's a clever workaround, but I would not be keen to have a long list of users that were indistinguishable from real users.  Also would like to be able to sort devices by this list on the main devices page (or rather show in groups). I think the fact you (and possibly other users) have done this shows there could be appetite for this?

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the upshot here is more semantic: If Fing were to change "User" to "Assignee" and have add new "assignee" values of "room" and "location" (for larger locales) then this sort of change sounds significantly easier to me.

Your thoughts, @VioletChepil ?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • JohnJohn Member Posts: 110
    ✭✭✭

But each device already has a location but as far as I can see it’s a ‘dumb’ location and doesn’t really serve a purpose. I don’t want to track the rooms away status as most is on all the time, but so want to be able to view and organise devices by room.

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google Home, Hue, and so on "group" devices based on "rooms" so the idea to do this at Fing seems natural...
    Keep looking up!