Speedtest no longer working?

MaestroSTB
MaestroSTB Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
I noticed that the speedtest on the Fingbox is providing incorrect results compared to a speedtest run on a PC direcly linked to the modem. Is the speedtest on the Fingbox broken?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,884
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @MaestroSTB, there are a few threads on the differences on how mlabs and the Fingbox do this.  See this response from mlabs.  let us know if you have any further questions...
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • MaestroSTB
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Marc,

I have seen the other discussions. However up to two days ago the speedtest was working fine. Now the results are no longer line. Even with the results from the website of Mlab

JWJ
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So mLabs is showing a different reading then the Fingbox?
  • MaestroSTB
    First Comment Photogenic

Yes, the Mlab speedtest run from their website on a PC linked to the modem using a cable gives the expected speedresults 500/40. The speedtest from the Fingbox are 6/6 Mbps.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses.  I’m tagging @Dylan_From_Fing and @Robin_from_Fing from Fing for comment. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,112
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

Yes, the Mlab speedtest run from their website on a PC linked to the modem using a cable gives the expected speedresults 500/40. The speedtest from the Fingbox are 6/6 Mbps.

Can you share screenshot of the speedtest from same device? One from Fing app and other from M-lab website from same device.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MaestroSTB
    First Comment Photogenic

As of this morning the speedtest on the Fingbox is showing the expected results again. You can see the dip in the attached screenshot. Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot from yesterday.

• JWJ
    JWJ Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭

As of Thursday the fingbox speedtest is at 50% of my average speed. Testing from clients result in the offered speed from isp. From a few minutes ago it is not starting at all (it shows a spinner). It would be great if we can reboot the device remotely.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    JWJ said:

As of Thursday the fingbox speedtest is at 50% of my average speed. Testing from clients result in the offered speed from isp. From a few minutes ago it is not starting at all (it shows a spinner). It would be great if we can reboot the device remotely.

Are you using any VPN or Mobile data? Can you go to this website from same device and share the screenshot of the speed test results from Fing app and the website so I can investigate: https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JWJ
    ✭✭

That test gives me 90% of the ISP contract. But that is not that relevant if the difference is hundreds of megabytes per second. I unplugged the fingbox and started it again, it now shows 100% of the provided speed. This issue was a 100 Mb network connection instead of a Gb.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    JWJ said:

That test gives me 90% of the ISP contract. But that is not that relevant if the difference is hundreds of megabytes per second. I unplugged the fingbox and started it again, it now shows 100% of the provided speed. This issue was a 100 Mb network connection instead of a Gb.

In your case, the ethernet cable might have gone bad and as you power cycled the Fingbox, it forced the Fingbox to attain the speed but if there is damage on cable, eventually the speed will drop
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • JWJ
    ✭✭

No, simple power cycle solved it.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the simplest fixes work the best.  I'm going to put that as step #1 for now on @JWJ.  Good to hear your all set now.