Bulk sharing or exporting devices IP adresses

YesYes Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Fing App Feature requests

Recently my main router got bricked. My home automation depends on fixed ip addresses for most of the devices in our house. Although it's true that I should maintain a database of the devices IP's or the router should provide a way to backup fixed ip address configuration it would have been really helpful if the Fing App could export that info. To me this makes sense, since the Fing App contains the most recent info.

In my bricked-router's case I extracted the info manually from Fing App to obtain the fixed IP leases.

If the app had an export or sharing facility, I could have written a script to automate the restore procedure instead of re-entering more than 50 addresses manually.

Anyone else think exporting/sharing could be useful?

The answer is Yes! The question is the question?

VioletChepil
0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

A richer export functionality has recently been added to the app; to allow the export of a device list in a choice of formats, including a record of each devices IP address

Comments

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd second something like this - however, I have to also ask - @VioletChepil if you connect your account to your Fingbox can you 'restore' your settings if you replace your Fingbox?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • YesYes Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments 5 Likes Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    As a new user of the community i was reading through some posts and just came along The Fing Roadmap post (https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap/p1) where an export functionality is mentioned. I installed the beta Fing app and to my surprise the functionality i was looking for was already there  :)
    I tried exporting to json and it worked flawlessly.
    This is awesome!
    The answer is Yes! The question is the question?

Gidster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed there is an export function as I found here:

https://community.fing.com/discussion/419/syslog#latest

VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to know the improved export functionality was what you were looking for :)@Yes (Yes!) 
    @Pooh what settings would you like to restore? Your device customizations are synched to your Fing App account and stored locally. Thus, if you remove a Fingbox/add a new one you'll get those customizations back. But we do not have any transitioning system for Fingbox v1-v2 and so you'd need to remake your alert settings, pause schedules etc. Hope that clarifies things a bit. But the devices you've customized should be re-found in the new Fingbox since they are associated by MAC address.
    I hope this helps! But let me know any more information needed too :) 

Community Manager at Fing

Yes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil I think the ability to backup and restore settings to a new Fingbox would certainly smooth the process of upgrading etc. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a v2, but I just don't have time to make sure it's fully set up so am holding off for now.
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've turned this one into an idea thread! So you can upvote this idea if you are interested in this feature. 

Community Manager at Fing

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 289
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil, I have a question: If I change my Fingbox v1 for another v1, the same configuration you enumerate will be lost? (Alets, schedules, users?).  Is just a scientific curiosity  o:).
    I am not to incline to upgrade for now, I do like the multicolor LEDs the v1 have :p,  I have assigned different colors to some people at home hehehe
    Keep looking up!