Am I being hacked? MAC address from SONY blu-ray player appears on my network at new residence!

PaPeRo
PaPeRo Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
Ok so I just moved into a new home and setup a new account with Frontier. I had Spectrum at the old residence. At the old residence my roommate had a SONY Blu-ray player that I setup to access my Wi-Fi network. My old roommate didn't move with me to the new place but somehow the Blu-ray player's MAC address just showed up on my new Wi-Fi network! How is this possible??? I'm using a completely NEW modem/router but when I log into the router to see what devices are connected to it, the SONY device shows up as being active/online. Can anyone explain to me what's going on???
VioletChepil

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PaPeRo said:
    Ok so I just moved into a new home and setup a new account with Frontier. I had Spectrum at the old residence. At the old residence my roommate had a SONY Blu-ray player that I setup to access my Wi-Fi network. My old roommate didn't move with me to the new place but somehow the Blu-ray player's MAC address just showed up on my new Wi-Fi network! How is this possible??? I'm using a completely NEW modem/router but when I log into the router to see what devices are connected to it, the SONY device shows up as being active/online. Can anyone explain to me what's going on???
    This is a new router?  Have you used a different password on the new router at all?
    Nothing should connect to your network that you have not authorized to. 
    Does the MAC address also obtain a LAN IP?
    Is this a router from the ISP?  Can you block MAC addresses and see if something in your home 'breaks'?  Maybe the MAC address is strikingly similar to the Sony BluRay player, maybe one character off?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepilRobin_from_Fing
  • PaPeRo
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 31, 2019 #3
    Yes everything is new and it's not even the same modem/router model brand...that's what so weird. Yes at the old residence the IP was 192.168.1.7 but on the new network it's 192.168.254.18. For the hostname it's in this format "unknown(mac address).home. There are a couple devices on my network that has a similar hostname format which ends with .home. The MAC is identical. After I discovered this I immediately blocked the MAC address from accessing my router. All of my connected devices are still working fine. I'm tempted to go back and unblock the rogue device just to see if it connects again. Fing has a feature that will notify me if the device becomes active again so I'll have time to block it again if it resurfaces. This is just very strange.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing you could do is leave it blocked and see if any devices can't connect (if it could be one of your devices). This would allow you to discover which one it is as well. 
    @Robin anything to add on this one?

Community Manager at Fing

Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,869
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    PaPeRo said:
     I'm using a completely NEW modem/router but when I log into the router to see what devices are connected to it, the SONY device shows up as being active/online. Can anyone explain to me what's going on???
    Hi @PaPeRo
    If you have logged in to your router page and you are able to see some Sony device which is not yours then Fing App is working fine in identifying devices. 
    I agree with @VioletChepil that you can check all your devices if there is any device which is not able to connect to the internet. If you are unable to find the device without internet access then I would suggest to change the SSID name and password on the router and connect all your devices again one by one to figure out if it is your device or not.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PaPeRo
    First Comment Photogenic
    I know for a fact it is not my device. I don't own any SONY Bluray players.
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @PaPeRo have you left the device blocked then? And has another similar device shown up? Let us know any update on the situation. Cheers

Community Manager at Fing