Fing App shows a old SSID

edgraaff
edgraaff Voorachoten, NLMember Posts: 17
10 Comments Photogenic
edited July 12, 2021 in Fingbox #1
Hi, an old SSID is shown in the fing app when i am connected via the fing box. I can't find any options to fix this or correct this. Seems this ssid is registered somewhere in a table but no clue where. Could some engineer fix this form me?  I have searched over and over, maybe it is somewhere in the old databases in the fing box? 
If needed i have some screenshots from my phone. This is not shown in the web application. 
---
Follow us @ https:/www.fishfreak.org Fly-fish & -tie, Nordics, camp & outdoor
Tagged:

Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 248
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @edgraaff

open the app, first screenshot & select networks...

All scanned networks are displayed, select the unwanted network & swipe right to left to delete it (For IOS, the delete action may be different for other systems). Deleting it will remove all customisations/edit previously made so exercise caution.

Dylan_From_Fing
  • edgraaff
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Sorry, it is the situation on my android phone with the fing app, and it is not the networks shown in my networks but somehow it is shown in a list i can't change  it is an old ssid, but the mac addresses are from the new routers... 

---
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @edgraaff
    Unfortunately, as of now, there is no way to change the name of the SSID with the current SSID. The problem here is due to the fact that the SSID is saved in the network when the user perform the scan using the Fing App (also when onboarding the Fingbox). After this 1st scan, all other scans are being done by the Fingbox itself, but since the Fingbox is connected through a wired LAN cable, it's not capable of detecting new SSID(s) in the network. At the moment, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Dylan_From_Fing
  • edgraaff
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Is there a procedure to refresh but keep data up to date since all device descriptions and settings is something i don't want to loose. The propper approach would be, be dynamic since ssid's will change on a regular base, and wrong ssid with mac current mac addresses is something that confuses. I could even mark it as an bug ,since this ssid is not longer existing for at least 2 years. 
    ---
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    edgraaff said:
    Is there a procedure to refresh but keep data up to date since all device descriptions and settings is something i don't want to loose. The propper approach would be, be dynamic since ssid's will change on a regular base, and wrong ssid with mac current mac addresses is something that confuses. I could even mark it as an bug ,since this ssid is not longer existing for at least 2 years. 
    Currently, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID. I stated the reason for this in my reply above. I have passed on your suggestion to our developers and hopefully it will be reviewed over for future versions. thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • edgraaff
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Lets hope for a development solution, since that should way to fix it. 
    ---
  • Radiocooke
    Radiocooke Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments First Anniversary Founder Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Has there been any update on this? I've seen quite a few requests for the ability to update the SSID, but so far I don't think I've come across a solution or response from Dev. Uninstalling and reinstalling isn't a practical option especially in situations (like mine) where there a ton of customizations with a lot of devices.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    edited July 12, 2021 #9
    @Radiocooke
    Currently, there has been no update on this as there are so many features we are working on. But I will pass on the suggestion once again to developers for review. To answer your query, in any way you will not lose the device customizations as device customizations are saved to Fing app and not on Fingbox. So uninstalling and re-installing Fingbox wont have any effect on device customization. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Radiocooke
    ✭✭
    Hmm... okay, if the customizations won't be lost, I'll give the uninstall / reinstall a shot, thank you.
    Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hmm... okay, if the customizations won't be lost, I'll give the uninstall / reinstall a shot, thank you.
    Before doing anything, please Go to Account Settings, then go to 'Account Storage' and then click on 'Synchronize' and then restart the phone. This will make sure all device customizations are saved to Fing account.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • edegraaff
    edegraaff Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

i am curous for the results..

• Radiocooke
    ✭✭
    So I followed the steps, and also did the Synchronize process mentioned above, however what I have now is the "original" network listed in Scanned Networks section of the app, this has all my original settings and customizations. The "new" network (the only thing that should be different is the SSID), has none of my customizations. So, exactly what I did not want to happen.... Is there any way to get the settings that are now stored in the cloud back onto the Fingbox? Please note that the settings shown in the cloud still show the old SSID, so I'm assuming that if there is a way to restore all the settings, that will be restored too, which would essentially put me back to where I started but at this point that would be preferable....
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Radiocooke
    May I know what steps did you follow to reset Fingbox? Also, from the same page from where you clicked 'Synchronize', you can go to and click on the Restore button while connected to the same network as Fingbox and it will restore your settings.

Monitored networks are the networks that are continuously scanned by either Fing Desktop or Fingbox. Fing desktop network will be displayed with a Laptop icon starting with 'DM-' MAC address and for Fingbox is displayed by 'F0:23:B9'. Next to monitored networks you will find a Home icon so it can be added to Home tab. 

Scanned networks are the networks that are manually scanned by the Fing mobile app. These scans are not monitored and to refresh the device list for these networks, you need to connect to the same network and then manually refresh perform the scan.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Radiocooke
    ✭✭
    Hello I reset the Fingbox by unplugging the device and holding in the reset button for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in while holding the reset button. The Fingbox came up in the install state and I then added a new Fingbox using the MobileApp. A had already tried doing the restore from inside the MobileApp, I don't get any error when I click restore and the account state shows OK, however none of my settings are restored. In my networks I have Monitored Networks which includes the Fingbox with a MAC address, and lists my devices without my custom settings. Under scanned networks I see my old network with my CIDR (ip/net). This has all my customizations but has a last updated status of 23 hours ago.
  • Radiocooke
    ✭✭
    So is there any way to restore my customizations?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    So is there any way to restore my customizations?
    I tried to recreate the issue with my own fingbox. If you have not deleted the network on Fing mobile app on which Fingbox was activated then the device customizations remain. As you have tried restore button as well and it does not show the device customizations then I would advice rebooting your device again and run a manual scan without Fingbox on network and then check if you get the customizations back.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Radiocooke
    ✭✭
    I still have my original network listed in the scanned networks list, but the restore option does not seem to do anything with or without the FIngbox disconnected... this is very frustrating. If there's no way to restore my customs, I really need to consider if it's worth it to me to recreate all of these manually, or of I should just scrap this device.