Error on map page

Bdoserror
Bdoserror Member Posts: 7
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
When I go to the "map" page of the Fing App in my web browser (Chrome 77 on Windows 10) it pops up an error box and leaves the map pointing to the UK:

I've turned off all extensions that could be blocking information (AdBlock, Privacy Badger) and I confirmed that JavaScript and Location services are enabled. Any idea what might be going on?

Location works fine on my Android app.
Tagged:

Comments

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,804
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , for what its worth, I have experienced this as well but on a Mac running Safari.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both. Could you confirm that your location and timezone is correct on the web app in your account settings? 
    https://app.fing.com/app#user:settings
    @Marc @Bdoserror

Community Manager at Fing

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Confirmed.

See screenshot. I get it when I click on the map icon shown.

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll need to ask @Robin for more on this one...

• Bdoserror
    Bdoserror Member Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Yes, my timezone is correct in my account. There is no location in my account settings. 
  • RickT49
    RickT49 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I am seeing the same problem using a Mac and Safari. My timezone is correct in my account.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all @RickT49 @Bdoserror thanks for reporting. I've checked in with our DEV team and this is a known issue. I haven't got any update on when the fix will be released - but we are aware. I'll let you know when I get any more information. 

• TaylorSystems
    TaylorSystems Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Hello, I wanted to add additional info in the hopes of getting this resolved.  I purchased 6 FingBox's (1 is in California and 5 are in 3 towns in Indiana).  The Web App has ALWAYS had this error and I have installed and used them for over a year.

Has there been any progress on resolving this problem?

Taylor Systems
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @TaylorSystems thanks for reporting. Not as of yet, but I'll check back in on the issue. 

• TaylorSystems
    TaylorSystems Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Additional information is that the JavaScript error occurs ONLY on the MAIN page where your networks (Fingboxes) are listed on the left and you press the Map Pushpin in the upper-right corner.

Taylor Systems
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @TaylorSystems I've inquired about getting an update on this and will update you when I have any more news.
    Cheers!

• Steve_NZ
    Steve_NZ Member Posts: 8
    Name Dropper First Comment
    I get the same error - javascript exception when clicking on the Map icon, and the map is positioned on the English channel, which is a long way from New Zealand!  

This thread was last updated in 2019 but here we are in 2021.  Any updates?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Steve_NZ said:
    I get the same error - javascript exception when clicking on the Map icon, and the map is positioned on the English channel, which is a long way from New Zealand!  

This thread was last updated in 2019 but here we are in 2021.  Any updates?
    Can you check if correct time zone is set on Fing app? Also, Have you enabled location permisssions for the Fing app? Are you running Fing mobile app on an apple device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Steve_NZ
    Hi Robin - thanks for your response.
    1. I'm running the Fing app in a Chrome browser tab on my Win10 PC where the timezone is set correctly
    2. I haven't denied location services, but there's nowhere in the app to enable/disable as far as I can see
    3. I am running Fing on my iPhone and other devices too, but my issue is with the Win10 app.  This was installed recently along with the Fingbox.

The Java exception error is: Cannot read property 'clear' of undefined.  Surprising to see an unhandled exception in a commercial product - hope you can get a fix out or let me know exactly how I resolve it.

Thanks - Steve

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Steve_NZ
    I will investigate this further and will try to recreate this and if it is a UI bug then will pass the feedback to developers. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, I get the same.  Scenario is to log into the web site, click the map icon next to my avatar and it will appear.  if I then click on any of the network icons on the far right, then it will work correctly...  I am using Safari on macOS Big Sur 11.4

• Steve_NZ
    Thanks Robin - my screenshot of the error included - Steve
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Steve_NZ
    I have tried to replicate the issue but it is working for me on MacBook air, MacBook pro and windows 10 device. Can you see if you have any extensions enabled on your browser? Also, Can you check if you have allowed or disabled javascript on the browser?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Steve_NZ
    Hi Robin - I have a few extensions running in Chrome so I tried other browsers:
    Edge - exactly the same error - no extensions apart from my Lastpass password manager and HP Sure Click Secure Browsing
    Brave - exactly the same error.  No extensions
    Firefox - extensions similar to Chrome and similar (but not identical) error: Javascript exception: : this.e is undefined

I haven't disabled Javascript on any of them.

Hope this helps - Steve
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Steve_NZ @Marc
    I tried to replicate this. Check the video but it is working for me on both MacBook air and MacBook pro. 
    Check this link: http://sendanywhe.re/VSWR1L5D
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I guess this is just one of those errors.

by the way I can reproduce it at will and just did so even on my iPhone via Safari. Could it be an initial location thing that the app can’t parse for certain locations I wonder? Steve, are you in New Zealand?

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin , I pulled this from the java console if it helps...  If your web devs need any additional info, let me know.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks a lot @Marc
    I am seeking further advice on this and I will get back to you all with an update. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Steve_NZ
    Hi @Marc - yes, I'm in New Zealand.

Cheers - Steve
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Country...  Always wanted to go hiking there.

Real reason I asked though was that I was kind of hoping we were in the same country so that maybe that was a common item they could look for an issue with.  Maybe Fing just hates the US and NZ?  ;-)
  • Steve_NZ
    Wait till this Covid stuff is over and we'd love to see you, Marc.  Bit hard to get into the country atm with the borders pretty much closed.  Even kiwis are having trouble getting home.

Anyway - happy to help on the debug side.  I just tried again on Chrome on my Ubuntu Linux server and the same Javascript error pops up as under Chrome/Win10.  So I'd like to think that with the error:
    - being consistently repeatable
    - occurring on multiple OSs
    - occurring on multiple browsers
    - occurring in more than one country
    then it should be easier than most bugs for the dev team to nail.  Famous last words :-)

Can provide more debug info if told where to look.

Cheers - Steve

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 251
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    This error is affecting me as well, UK, been happening for the last couple of years but no immediate prospect of a resolution it appears.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @Pixel for reporting. I am seeking further advice on this and will update everyone with an update.

Robin (Admin at Fing)