App does not detect my fingbox.

StellaStella Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
I have never successfully setup my fingbox.  I have a fing account. I can log in on the website and the app.  I can not add the fingbox.  WHen I try no green light goes on the top of the unit and it says no fingbox found.  The fingbox is plugged directly into a network switch.  Hoping someone can help.
VioletChepil

Best Answer

• StellaStella Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    As you had instructed I plugged directly into my router and BHAM!  fingbox detected.  Don't understand why it would not work from the network switch  :/

Answers

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there @Stella hoping I can help. To confirm, the LEDs never turn green on start-up. 
    Can you please try connecting Fingbox directly to your main router or access point rather than a switch? Is this an option? 
    Here is the configuration guide:
    https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/finding-your-fingbox/

Community Manager at Fing

Poohkltaylor
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 111
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    @stella what will happen, if you unplug the fingbox from router and move back to switch? Once fingbox is activated, it's "married" with the network and should find it's way back to internet. If it's blinking orange after booting and fing.app say that it could not connect to fingbox, then sth is not configured well within the switch. managed switches could be configured, e. g. different VLAN which will split the normal LAN into different virtual LAN. Maybe this is a possibility. Do you use managed switches?
    Other devices, also connected to this switch, could use internet as normal?
    PoohMarc
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stella said:
    As you had instructed I plugged directly into my router and BHAM!  fingbox detected.  Don't understand why it would not work from the network switch  :/
    I was going to suggest the same thing.  Plugging the Fingbox directly to the router is a better way of implementing it into your network.  Sometimes a switch 'acts up' so removing it from 'the equation' is always a first step for me.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stella that is great news to hear. Requesting a bit more information - but I do know that there can be issues with various switches and since we launched we've recommended to avoid! 

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stella that is great news to hear. Requesting a bit more information - but I do know that there can be issues with various switches and since we launched we've recommended to avoid! 
    You have that list, listed anywhere?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @Pooh list is over here: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/router-extenders-access-point-compatibility/ 
    A few more details on why switches can cause issues. 
    Switch can be termed as a network bridge with multiple ports which helps to process and route packets at data link layer of the OSI reference model. The basic function that any switch is supposed to perform is to receive information from any source connected to it and dispatch that information to the appropriate destination only.
    In other words, if two or more routers are connected and Fingbox is connected to switch then Fingbox will not be able to get a stable connection from a particular router or other devices connected to that router and gateway will change automatically for Fingbox and thus Fingbox will not be able to operate.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stella - please choose a best answer if this has been solved!