Does anybody know what it means to have a compromise phone number

Sally99
Sally99 Member Posts: 30
10 Comments

So I have a subscription to McAfee and apparently my phone number is been compromised a lot of times it gives me the persons name and everything who did it email you name it. I got a hold of the security department I called them and told them what should I do about this situation and they acted like I was stupid they ask me what do you want us to do about it!! I’m like really people wow what do I do

Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 871
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like a baiting scam email to me Sally.

Where are you getting this warning about your phone number being compromised? Through email correct?

• Sally99
    10 Comments

Threw my security mcAfee it actually gives me the email of who is doing it, and the phone number, plus more. All kinds of info. It. Even says which site it’s been on I don’t know what that means but I can tell you with the developer site

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have experience with that security suite unfortunately, perhaps someone who does will be of more help.

Let's wait and see if anyone else knows.

• angelo_lopes
    angelo_lopes Porto, PortugalMember Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

• angelo_lopes
    angelo_lopes Porto, PortugalMember Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    McAfee is a joke, not protection software. In 2003, I had to reformat 67 computers, including three servers. All had updated McAfee. They had been infected with the Klez worm, which had appeared two years earlier, in 2001.

Our McAfee license was close to renewal, and over the course of a month and a half I tested more than ten antivirus software. I still have floppy disks with viruses from that time.

I chose NOD32. The fastest I found, even in remote scans and at the time already with heuristic detection. Produced in Slovakia. I have never stopped using it in the company and recommending it to other companies and friends during these 18 years.

On mobile phones and tablets, even me, my sons, and grandsons, we have ESET Mobile Security with Banking & Payment protection, Call Filter, Anti-Theft, etc., etc. activated among other features. I recommend.
  • nozero
    nozero Member Posts: 4
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited May 28
    Unless the victim suddenly loses cell service for no apparent reason, they most likely have not had their phone number "compromised".  This site give you suggestions to secure your phone account with these carriers as well as suggestions for those not listed.  For the major carriers:I get monthly reports from the MyIDCare Identity Monitoring Portal, provided on behalf of the Office of Personnel Management, advising that my phone number has been compromised, but I've never lost my cell service.  In my case, the phone number was most likely assigned to one of the persons who had the number prior to me.  I did some research and found the individual, in my case, was deceased.

If you've lost your cell service, I'd start by contacting your cell service provider for assistance.  HTH :) 
  • JohnV
    JohnV Member Posts: 6
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Regardless of her source of information, she has a point. Scammers and advertisers calling from all over the world call you using spoofed local to you phone numbers.  Often they use known real numbers to fool you.  Your phone number belongs to you, and if someone else is using it, that is actually a stolen identity!
    Sally99
  • Sally99
    10 Comments
    Well the crazy part about it is I have McAfee on every device I own and it’s weird how some of the McAfee‘s I have actually key numbers like someone has purchased it and one says it’s for dell mcafee  said says it’s for Hewitt Packard McAfee and the one is giving me all the good information isn’t one on my ip.  It’s a totally  different device because someone let me borrow it. WELL ITS THE 1  giving me all the good information like telling me who’s in my account tell me who is in my phones and it’s giving me the dates and everything of when the person did it And these dates are current !!! I google the phone number And it basically only talks about the other lady ! I’ve had phone for 3 years it shows that the person actually has like 60 other names Akas like 20 diff jobs all nice white color jobs it even shows the current Address on the person !!!

• Sally99
    10 Comments
    I forgot to say I called McAfee in told them and like I said they didn’t care they told me I need to hurry And erase the messages all the notifications immediately lol I said heck. No I won’t lol  delete them immediately or ever actually u think I’m dumb lol  I forgot 2 mention that part 😬 Oops
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur, eSET NOD32 has always been excellent on my devices going back nearly 20 years. It's light, fast, and accurate at detecting.

When I worked for an ISP and for another internet related company McAfee was known to cause connectivity issues and would need to be shutdown then reconfigured or even fully uninstalled to restore function.

Sally99
  • Stephend69
    Stephend69 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I remember an incident with McAfee several years back that put me off of their software.  In one of their regular updates, McAfee deleted a critical Windows operating file.  The next time the computer was restarted, BANG, it wouldn't boot.  Many computer shops were charging the unknowing $200 - $300 to fix the issue that literally took seconds to fix.  A simple boot disk with a batch file to restore the missing operating file would get the computer up and running in seconds, but I know many a tech to tell the customer, "It will be ready tomorrow."  I fixed mine myself and immediately switched to Norton.
  • Sally99
    10 Comments
    Norton isn’t any better  McAfee is just about the same in my experience  they both will let intruders in and do attacking    U definitely agree with you about it comes threw the updates tho