Is it possible to measure local network traffic or possible saturation with Fing ??

Is it possible to measure local network traffic or possible saturation with Fing ?? 

Answers

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited June 9
    LuisDIaz said:
    You can refer to this article: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/bandwidth-analysis-feature/
    Hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • thomasmerz
    thomasmerz Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    But why does Fingbox slow down my computer by around half the speed? Both Fingbox and Computer are connected via LAN-cable to the same switch. When I do an "iperf" with Bandwidth Analysis it's only half the speed than "normal"… :-1:

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    But why does Fingbox slow down my computer by around half the speed? Both Fingbox and Computer are connected via LAN-cable to the same switch. When I do an "iperf" with Bandwidth Analysis it's only half the speed than "normal"… :-1:

If Fingbox is slowing down your network then you can refer to this article: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/will-fingbox-slow-down-my-network/
    I hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Popula
    Popula Member Posts: 30
    5 Answers 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

First and foremost, FING is a passive device and won't generate network activity, other than the occasional speed-test (if you enabled that), so it should not affect your bandwidth.

Using IPERF is rather situational. Did you use a typical local client-server setup?

Anyway, I did a few tests myself. Allow me to show you the results.

The server for the first two runs is a high-end core i9 11900K w/ 64MB, all SSD, CAT7 cable on a professional CISCO managed switch.
    The client for the first two runs is a 7th gen Intel i7 (Surface Pro) on a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter, CAT7 connected to the same managed switch.

First, a typical client-server IPERF run, wired, on a 1 Gbps local network (managed switch) and FING fully functional.
    The report shows this:

Next, exactly the same IPERF run, but now with FING disconnected.
    The report shows this:

Hardly any difference. A tad slower, even (888Mbps vs. 874Mbps). But neglectable.

However, when I do a REVERSE run of IPERF (switched client and server), the following happened, still WITHOUT an active FING:

See the difference? A whopping 40% drop, compared to the first two runs.
    Apparently, the server quality greatly determines the bandwidth.

If you do the same experiment, you may observe similar results.

That's why I always say that speed-tests, no matter how consistent it looks, are always very situational.

But I think the conclusion can be, that FING does not impact the bandwidth of your network.

UG64
  • thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    @Popula , it may not be clear that I used bandwidth-analysis-feature of Fingbox which seems to have an impact on bandwidth of the host that is analysed:
    • Without this feature, all iperf3 jobs are great and as expected and stable around/between 300-400 Mbit/s (which is very near the maximum that I'm expecting).
    • But as soon as I start to analyse bandwidth with fingbox for one of my hosts involved in iperf3, the performance is more than halving most the time , sometimes it's near the expected maximum.

• thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    @Popula , it may not be clear that I used bandwidth-analysis-feature of Fingbox which seems to have an impact on bandwidth of the host that is analysed:
    • Without this feature, all iperf3 jobs are great and as expected and stable around/between 300-400 Mbit/s (which is very near the maximum that I'm expecting).
    • But as soon as I start to analyse bandwidth with fingbox for one of my hosts involved in iperf3, the performance is more than halving most the time , sometimes it's near the expected maximum.