Operating systems not listed in directory on fing desktop?

DiddlyDee123
DiddlyDee123 Austin, TXMember Posts: 11
Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 20, 2021 in Fing Desktop discussions #1
I've noticed that fing desktop's database of operating systems and devices isn't up to date. I'm not talking about some old device that got lost to history. It doesn't even list the latest version of iPadOS, which is 14.5.1. When I select my iPad from my device list and choose "recognize," I am able to find my device. Once I save, it gives the option to confirm the OS. I type it out, it's just not in there. It's also annoying that you HAVE to select something, otherwise you have to be satisfied with fing identifying an iPad's OS as iOS. It shouldn't be that hard to keep this up to date and you should be able to manually enter the details if it's not on the list. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    I'm having a similar device-recognition issue for an older Samsung LED TV that has network capabilities but is not in Fing's list of devices. It's a Samsung UN46C6300SFXZA. The closest model listed is Samsung UN46C6400 I believe.
    From the same list, where you can search for correct device type, you can make suggestion for Fingpedia. If you scroll down then you will see an option to add the correct device and submit it to developers for review.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,714
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DiddlyDee123, I've moved this to the Fing desktop area for proper visibility.  @robin from fing, how long does it take from the time a new version of an OS is released till it can be selected in Fing?  I've noticed the same behavior and it might help if you can clarify this.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    I am seeking further advice on this one and I will get back to you all once I have an update. Thanks again
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • DiddlyDee123
    My iPad Pro's operating system defaults to "iOS" after being scanned by Fing Desktop. When I try to manually find the correct OS for my iPad to select it, the correct version isn't listed. iPadOS 14.4 is the most recent version on the list. The current version is iPadOS 14.6.
  • DiddlyDee123
    I'm having a similar device-recognition issue for an older Samsung LED TV that has network capabilities but is not in Fing's list of devices. It's a Samsung UN46C6300SFXZA. The closest model listed is Samsung UN46C6400 I believe.