Does fingbox do everything that fing desktop does?

KeithOP
KeithOP Member Posts: 8
First Comment
Ive tried to read about them both and I keep seeing Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box.
So I have Fing Desktop here at the moment, works great and tempted to go premium but I'm trying to decide between desktop premium and fing box.
I can't find a simple comparison table so I can see what they both do/dont do?
wondering if anyone can tell me, does the box do EVERYTHING that desktop does or not? and what ELSE does it do?

thanks

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KeithOP…. I just had a similar conversation with another forum member.  I’m going to quote it below…. Both the mobile app and the desktop apps are at their core network discovery and basic troubleshooting tools.  Premium adds a bit more logging, API’s, troubleshooting tools and a few other features that you will have to figure out if you will get use out of.

Adding the Fingbox opens up for the mobile app only, a set of new capabilities when used together.  

The Fingbox appliance adds to what the mobile application can do and adds a bit more security related functions. It can block some select attack vectors for instance.  It can also block unknown devices from attaching to your wifi and can control when and who can access the network and for how long.  Also can tell you who is home and who is out.  Think of that as form of parental control.  It can also let you know unassociated devices that are nearby your network in the form of what they call a digital fence.  All of these good for visibility...

A Fingbox can ONLY be used with the mobile app and does not interact with the desktop app.  Fing treats the desktop as a separate stand alone product from the Fingbox.

As for the desktop and mobile version of the software they produce.  The Mobile and desktop software are complimentary.  You can manage the desktop discovered devices on the mobile app and for the most part, without a Fingbox, they do similar things.  There are also free and premium versions of the software and some features vary depending on the tier you choose.

Fing has a products page in case you have not seen it...  https://www.fing.com/products

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • KeithOP
    First Comment
    Hi Marc thanks for replying I appreciate it. I get that fingbox works with the mobile app and the desktop app is completely separate.
    That having been said, what I can't find anywhere is a comprehensive list of what the desktop app does compared to desktop premium and fingbox?

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fingbox does not work with the desktop so at least you can eliminate that combo.

The desktop app and the Fing app without the Fingbox are similar in basic functions.

As far as a comparison chart of Premium versus non premium, I’ll see if I can Find something.

Also, @Robin or @Ciaran , would you have a comparison chart? This is not the first time it’s been asked and it might be helpful for other folks to see.

• KeithOP
    First Comment
    Thanks Marc... just to be clear, not so much what premium adds... but more  Desktop Premium v  Fingbox 
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Or more precisely, desktop w/premium versus mobile app w/Fingbox or mobile app app w/Fingbox with a premium subscription.

I think that’s all the permutations you can have.

• KeithOP
    First Comment
    brilliant yep thanks
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Marc said:

Fingbox does not work with the desktop so at least you can eliminate that combo.

The desktop app and the Fing app without the Fingbox are similar in basic functions.

As far as a comparison chart of Premium versus non premium, I’ll see if I can Find something.

Also, @Robin or @Ciaran , would you have a comparison chart? This is not the first time it’s been asked and it might be helpful for other folks to see.

Currently, we dont have a list but I am working on the same and we will update the knowledge base with the same. For time being, users can view overall summary of Premium vs Non-Premium here: https://app.fing.com/internet/account/subscribe/choose/fing_premium/year
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • KeithOP
    First Comment
    Thanks Robin, I'm clear now on the differences between premium and non-premium on the apps.
    Is there a simlar feature table for the fingbox so I can manually compare what it does v the apps?
    At the moment all I can find is a very simplistic page https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox  which doesn't really tell me the detail?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    KeithOP said:
    Thanks Robin, I'm clear now on the differences between premium and non-premium on the apps.
    Is there a simlar feature table for the fingbox so I can manually compare what it does v the apps?
    At the moment all I can find is a very simplistic page https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox  which doesn't really tell me the detail?

Currently, for Fingbox users, there is not much benefit getting premium but all of our new features in future will be available with Fing Premium only.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • KeithOP
    First Comment
    edited May 31, 2021 #11
    Thanks Robin I appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this.
    I'm actually coming at it from the other perspective. At the moment I have the fing free desktop app.... Im considering
    whether I would get the most benefit going for the premium service or the fingbox?
    Given that in the knowledgebase it says Fing Mobile < Fing Desktop < Fing Box   that implies that the fingbox has features that desktop doesnt have? (although who knows if it's talking about desktop free or desktop premium, it doesn't say!)
    So, pretend I have nothing... what would buying a fingbox give me that getting the fing app premium service would not?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @KeithOP
    Currently, Fingbox benefits are real-time alerts for devices entering and leaving the network and Digital Fence feature: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/digitalfence-feature/ and Pause/Block features(if router is compatible); monthly Internet performance reports of how your network is doing; you can use real-time Bandwidth Analysis to see which device are consuming more data at that moment.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • KeithOP
    First Comment
    Thanks Robin appreciate it.
    Over the weekend whilst I was trying fing desktop (Free), my internet provider A&A had a routing problem. It was actually really great that as soon as I sat down, fing had noticed it (facebook not loading check which I know is a pretty simple check but it was useful and saved me a few minutes thinking it was probably me)
    Would either desktop/mobile premium or fingbox have actually alerted me by email/push or whatever to that situation rather than me only noticing when I sat down and opened the app?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @KeithOP
    Fingbox can only alert for devices going offline or online. For websites checks, neither Fing desktop or Fingbox will send you an alert. You can open Fing desktop and run a manual scan but it does not send email alerts to users.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • KeithOP
    First Comment
    ok but this wasnt me specifying a check, this was part of the connectivity health check that fing desktop does which says "updates are automatic but you can refresh manually too"
    So we're not talking about a manual scan here, we're talking about the connectivity health check which runs automatically on the fing desktop (apparently).... so that won't notify me in any other way other than inside the desktop app even if I have premium? even though the feature table says:

See the complete feature chart

FREE
    PREMIUM
    GENERAL
    Event notification Local          Push & Email
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @KeithOP
    The alert you are referring to is Event notification which refers if you have set any state change alert for any device on Fing desktop. For regular health checkup scans, you can get notifications on Fing desktop notification tab.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)