Fing Desktop for Linux

2»

Comments

• Tuxmasterflex
    Tuxmasterflex Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    It seems that Fing has made an appearance in the linux world on the armHF architecture for SNAPS.  Published in Dec 2017.

BertKoningOnline2RainCaster
  • Tuxmasterflex
    It seems that Fing has made an appearance in the linux world on the armHF architecture for SNAPS.  Published in Dec 2017.

BertKoningOnline2
  • BertKoningOnline2
    BertKoningOnline2 Netherlands Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

It’s really simple why there must be a Linux Fing desktop application. People use smartphone devices and can choose for the Fing application and there are many computer users with Mac, Windows and Linux distributions. But the Mac and Windows users can download the Fing desktop, but the enthoustic Linux users can’t. That’s a serious shame!!

• Tgeorgescu
    Tgeorgescu Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    So, you do:
    yay -S fing
    sudo fing
  • RainCaster
    RainCaster My deskMember, Beta Tester Posts: 55
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭

Another up-vote for Linux support. I have moved all my Windows servers to Linux equivalents, Exchange, IIS, MS-SQL, file servers... The reduction in time spent repairing bad patches was well worth the effort. I have also moved my client machines to Linux and only use Windows to run TurboTax. The rest of my family is still using windows and I happily support them.

• wayner
    wayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I love Linux as well but the reason they don't support it is really pretty simple:
    httpswwwdebugpointcomblogwp-contentuploads202007OS-Market-Share-June-2020-netmarketsharecom_png
  • Tgeorgescu
    Tgeorgescu Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment

I don't think that's accurate. Reportedly, Chrome OS is more popular than MacOS.

• wayner
    ✭✭
    Here's an article that says Chromebooks outsold Macs in 2020 for the first time ever.  But that would imply that Macs would still have a higher market share due to computers sold prior to 2020.  https://www.geekwire.com/2021/chromebooks-outsold-macs-worldwide-2020-cutting-windows-market-share/
    I believe this chart is sales which isn't the same as current market share. I wonder if this will continue as a lot of the Chrome OS units were bought by schools for online learning, which will be reduced for the 21-22 school year.

• wayner
    ✭✭
    That Ars Techinca story refers to the Geekwire story that I linked to.  I think these both refer to sales in 2020 as opposed to installed base.  But it doesn't change the fact that Linux is has a very small market share which is the point I was making in the first place.
  • Tuxmasterflex
    Although Linux may be the least used OS type, IMO it comes to closets in comparison to Fings mission of security and privacy. Windows = Microsoft
    Mac = Apple
    Andriod = Google
    Do you trust any of these companies business models? 

Now ask yourself the same question about OpenBSD and Linux platforms.......