2nd Hand Fingbox - New setup

JaybroJaybro Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

I have recently been given a 2nd hand fingbox that I want to set up.

As soon as I connect the device to my network my network fails. I’m assuming that’s because the device was originally setup to block new devices.

How can I reset the fingbox so that I can set it up from the start on my network. The device is likely to be still associated to another users account.

Regards

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, 
    @Jaybro best thing to do is get the original owner/vendor of Fingbox to deactivate it so you can hook up to your network. Here are the steps:
    (Takes only 2 minutes from the vendors end)

To move your Fingbox to a new network, follow these simple steps:

• Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor 
    Let me know if that's possible and we can take it from there!
    Cheers,
    Violet

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,458
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Jaybro, I’m guessing the Fingbox needs to be deactivated and disassociated from its old account.  The original owner can deactivate the Fingbox as I’m sure can Fing but I would think you may have to contact Fing to transfer it to you account. @VioletChepil, can you help with a transfer and disassociation request if @Jaybro needs it?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil , for future reference, there is no need for Fing to get involved if someone wants to give their fingbox to someone else, once the above steps are followed?  AKA nothing needed from Fing Support unless the original owner is not available?
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Marc yes that's for sure. The vendor of a used Fingbox should completely disable their account before selling. And then its directly ready to onboard without any of our team's intervention! 

Marc
  • PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil: what if the original owner has not done this and\or no longer has the ability\willingness to do so? Can it still be activated under a new account after going through support?
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh we must validate to 100% certainty the ownership of the box of course and that requires confidential/security details. 
    It's much easier if the vendor does it. Since, as you know, the new owner won't have access to the previous email details...
    We don't really have an official reseller scheme if that makes sense! 

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VioletChepil : Oh, I get that, just asking for folks who buy a used Fingbox and find out that they've got an already activated one. Sadly, there's way too many people out there who don't care so I was wondering what the new owners would be able to do when faced with the situation where the original owner either refuses to do anything or, worst still (due to say no longer having access to their email) is unable to do anything.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh I will confirm the process internally! But lets see what @Jaybro comes back with. Usually the vendor will help with this. Of course, if not, there are other ways to validate but generally this has been the simplest in the past. 

PoweredByFei
  • JaybroJaybro Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

@VioletChepil I was able to get the previous owner to deactivate the Fingbox from their account. I was then able to easily onboard this into my network.

Many thanks for your help.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Jaybro for reporting back too. That is great. Generally this is the preferred way to get the box handed over to a new network as it validates the sale/off boarding etc.
    Thanks again! 

• true911true911 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, sorry to tack on to a thread, but this one is widely referred to, and I have a question.
    I'm trying to deactivate my fingbox.  I can describe why in another thread.   Above, you describe the process as:
         To move your Fingbox to a new network, follow these simple steps:
              Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
              This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
              Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already
                        configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    Please start at the absolute beginning for me.  What screen are we talking about? Where do I perform these actions?
    Thanks!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @true911
     In the top of your screen you will see a little arrow. (Right at the top)
    If you click it -> it will pull up a list of all your networks. 
    From that list, swipe from right to left and a little DEACTIVATE button will appear.
    Click to deactivate. 
    Let me know if its clear!

Let me know if it is clear! 

• PoweredByFeiPoweredByFei Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

I bought mine used 2nd hand and completed the steps for a full reset but the Fing app can not find the Fingbox and I’m guessing it’s because it may still be registered under original user. The problem is I’m not able to reach the original seller anymore. How could i get this Fingbox registered under my account?

✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ciaran or @Robin , could you help out @PoweredByFei register his Fingbox?

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @PoweredByFei, we will send you a private message as we will need to get more details (e.g. MAC address, email and user verification details). Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

Marc
  • tomklyntomklyn Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Ciaran said:
    Thanks @PoweredByFei, we will send you a private message as we will need to get more details (e.g. MAC address, email and user verification details). Thanks
    i just got a 2nd hand fingbox from my uncle and he couldn't remember his account info am need to get it deregister from his account so i can play with it 
    admin
    Thanks, we will send you a private message as we will need to get more details (e.g. MAC address, email and user verification details). Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

Ciaran said:
    Thanks, we will send you a private message as we will need to get more details (e.g. MAC address, email and user verification details). Thanks
    he said he removed it from his account i reset the fingbox i get a solid green light if i remove power it boots back up and flashes blue then kills my network
    admin
    I have written to you via private mail. Please respond directly. thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

I finally got it switch over to my account he let me log into his account with the fingbox powered on and get it off of his account

Ciaran
    admin
    Great to hear. thank you for confirming.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• saikotik1saikotik1 AustraliaMember Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment

Hi im in a similar situation, previous owner can't disassociate device please help

admin
    Hi @saikotik1, I am sending you a private message to troubleshoot further. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

saikotik1
  • saikotik1saikotik1 AustraliaMember Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment

Ok then

• true911true911 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    This is what I was trying to accomplish long ago.  Please do me the same courtesy and help me deassociate my fingbox so I can start over.  Thank you.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,391
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @true911
    I have sent you private mail to address your query. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!